My first detector was a Ace 250

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure the detectors mentioned are better. Ur ace had the capabilities though. Location location location. Then perseverance time energy. Haha. I started w an f2 and I only have an AT Pro. There's not some huge magical difference. U get over the goods u will find em. Really listen to your machine. I mean really listen. Things will start to click. Lot of iron masking

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is your home? My home was built in the early 1930's, but all I've found on the land with my Ace 250 is a 1903 Barber dime and a 1920 Merc. I also had a friend detect it recently with his AT Pro and he found zero coins. So my 85 year old home only had two good coins on it! You never know, I guess.

As for trading up, that's a little premature. Detect a friend's property and see what happens there. Just doing your property won't tell you much.

The Ace 250 is great machine, with a lot of practice. I've found 7 large cents, 2 KG coppers, 3 half reales from the 1700's and dozens of colonial era buttons with my Ace 250. I also dug a really nice colonial shoe buckle with it (see my avatar).

Start out in coin mode with the sensitivity 2 or 3 notches from the max. You should find a lot of coins that way and keep your trash finds to a minimum. I never hunt in all metal mode unless I'm deep in the woods. Jewelry mode is okay in low trash areas, but you'll dig a ton of pull tabs and other aluminum junk. Good luck and don't give up!

OP
OP
lazabert

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at or xp which one , cuz I am ready to do that

OP
OP
lazabert

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You --Im going to hang on to my 250 I think--- I have dug many items in one month -- I'm happy and I appreciate the advice .. This is what I needed -- some good solid guidance.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep it and just get another one with better discrimination. But ultimately you will just need to really learn your machine well.

OP
OP
lazabert

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have 2 homes on property built 1951 -- brick homes-- lotsa search land -- i love it-- I actually love my 250 but wasn't sure if I was detecting properly -- thanks to you I am on right path-- Got my first silver --didnt even know it lol--had a jewelry friend of mine tell me--- sssooooooo cooool

OP
OP
lazabert

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree-- I have found some great things-- I will learn this machine lol -- I will keep my findings posted-- never thought 3 months ago when I bought it --that 3 months later I would have my tokens published--- aagh the stress lol--people at work were doggin me-- now they want a detector lol

OP
OP
lazabert

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup--you are correct and actually I am going to keep it--it is awesome

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Lazabert,

FreeBirdTim has given you so great advice. Keep the ACE 250 and upgrade next year to a AT Pro or some other comparable machine. I have an ACE 250 along with many high end machines, but for quick coin-shooting a playground or schoolyard the 250 will serve you very well.

Remember it is location first, operator knowledge second and machine third! Learn all you can about metal detecting including but limited to site research, coil types, detectors, recovery techniques, pin pointing techniques (several to learn)...etc.

Most of all have fun and enjoy the hobby, everything else will come with time.

Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
lazabert

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ThankYou --I am going to learn this ace well, as it has already brought me the smiles I needed. I did order another coil and a pack for digging( the basic supplies) as well I have found my first silver( Bracelet) and tokens that are going to be published. I guess I doing alright --lol _ I love this sooo much and the people and replies are about as best you can get for anything --- wish all you people lived near cuz you are great
Hello Lazabert,

FreeBirdTim has given you so great advice. Keep the ACE 250 and upgrade next year to a AT Pro or some other comparable machine. I have an ACE 250 along with many high end machines, but for quick coin-shooting a playground or schoolyard the 250 will serve you very well.

Remember it is location first, operator knowledge second and machine third! Learn all you can about metal detecting including but limited to site research, coil types, detectors, recovery techniques, pin pointing techniques (several to learn)...etc.

Most of all have fun and enjoy the hobby, everything else will come with time.

Regards,

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread