Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visited the dump today expecting the usual 2 cents and a broken VCR, instead I spotted a crushed candle holder. Ever curious, I picked it up and I looked it over. To my surprise I spotted a ".925" stamp! In shock I looked around the place to see if I could find its mate! But what I found was even better. In a nearby a pile of junk were, among other things, someone's entire family silver set!

The entire hoard consists of two hollow sterling candle holders, a little sterling saucer, sterling sugar bowl, an amazingly detailed sterling and gold washed goblet, and an unbelievably exquisite sterling cake stand. Will undoubtedly be returning tomorrow to make sure I got everything!

In total the hoard contains 1,178 grams of Sterling, or 2.6 pounds. What a haul! :icon_king:

The plunder very shortly after discovery:
Goblet Hoard small 2.jpg 20150706_170748 2.jpg

The sterling goblet. "My God..." were my only words upon seeing it.
It is damaged unfortunately, but it is still one of the most beautiful treasures I have ever found:
20150706_161932 small.jpg 20150706_162014 2.jpg

My attempts to repair the goblet succeeded to some extent but I've decided to let a professional take over from here. If I had to guess I'd say it's from the early 1900's:
20150706_210128 2.jpg

The sterling cake tray is the biggest and best preserved piece in the hoard. I cleaned the grime off of it a bit for these pictures:
20150706_210139 2.jpg 20150706_210149.jpg

It was made by Reed and Barton, which my research :read2: indicates is an insanely expensive brand. This piece alone may easily be worth over a grand:
20150706_210158.jpg

The sticks were the first things I found and I thought they were junk, but they're marked ".925" sterling. One is crushed beyond repair. Both are hollow :
20150706_162103.jpg 20150706_162117.jpg

The sterling sugar bowl (before I fixed it) and the small sterling saucer:
20150706_162030 small.jpg 20150706_162039 2.jpg

Upvote 43

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely stunning ! I think this is easily Banner Worthy ! (or I'm interested in hearing why not !)

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is one Amazing find. What a haul. And it was thrown awayl

Last edited:

mikeinOC1

Jul 3, 2006
Orange County CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ21
That is so cool. Thanks for sharing. It just amazes me the kind of stuff some people throw out. Always wonder what were the circumstances that would prompt someone to toss items of such value. Hey Jeff I agree with Arentium. Wouldn't it be worth a banner consideration ? There are amazing finds not found with detectors that often equal or surpass any detector find and usually come with a unique story behind them. If only these pieces could talk.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!! That is a wonderful save. Congrats on the outstanding find!!!!!!!:occasion14:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:occasion16::wav::occasion16: Super! And I think any naysayers who put down dump & dumpster diving will be pretty quiet right now, lol. Andi

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Man UnderMiner, you killed it again! Folks use to be able to go to the Sanitation Landfills (Dumps) here and collect all of the Copper, Aluminum and other great items that were thrown out and still good or very valuable. However, all of that has changed and the folks that work at the Landfills as well as some Jail Inmates they bring in, go through everything that comes in and separate everything that is recyclable and more. At the local Landfill here, they have now gone as far as pulling out the items that are still good (some still new in box) and sell them onsite. The days of rummaging through other's trash and throw outs is gone to us here. Dang, if it weren't for the high rent, the high costs of living and the really cold winters up there which is getting rougher on my' old bones, I would be there in a Tennessee/New York minute and be doing the things you are doing!

Frank

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is an absolutely insane find!

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man I love that silver. Way to go friend!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cha-Ching save, well done!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am easily seduced by shiny objects. On my avatar it says "all types of treasure hunting". After looking at a lot of your posts, you have convinced me to keep my eyes open to the curb and when I visit the dump. When I lived in Maine, when I would go to the dump, I would usually hit the wood pile looking for usable lumber. Never would I think to keep an eye on the metal bin for possible treasure.

You have certainly inspired me. Thank you for your posts and I truly wish you continued success. It is always a pleasure to see you show your finds. Congrats.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice save there Underminer thanks for sharing it with us ! :occasion14:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow just wow

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You never cease to Amaze us with your recoveries... :notworthy:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As the Sheriff said in " The Goonies "... Holy Mary, Mother of God! :notworthy:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MR.MINER WHILE OUT SEARCHING TODAY HE FOUND A SILVER TEA SERVING SET SOMEONE HAD THROWN AWAY, ALL THESE ITEMS THAT HE HAD FOUND, MADE NO SENSE TO HIM WHY THEY WHERE SCATTERED ABOUT. CANDLE STICK HOLDER AND A PLATTER IF THIS IS NOT BANNER FINDS SOMETHING A MATTER. WOW AWESOME HAUL.....

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am easily seduced by shiny objects. On my avatar it says "all types of treasure hunting". After looking at a lot of your posts, you have convinced me to keep my eyes open to the curb and when I visit the dump. When I lived in Maine, when I would go to the dump, I would usually hit the wood pile looking for usable lumber. Never would I think to keep an eye on the metal bin for possible treasure.

You have certainly inspired me. Thank you for your posts and I truly wish you continued success. It is always a pleasure to see you show your finds. Congrats.

Thanks! The reason I started hunting the dumps/dumpsters/trash is because when I was a little kid my mom told me the reason all the old toys in the antique shop were so expensive was because so many people threw away their old toys. With my simple childhood logic I said, 'so why don't we just look in people's garbage for all the expensive toys they threw out?' It sounded like a silly idea, but to this day I've probably found more treasure disposed of in the trash than anywhere else.
Good luck in your search for riches! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread