Another Short Sidewalk Tear Out Hunt | Cool Vintage Ring + Silver

Loomis

May 3, 2015
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been working a sidewalk tear out for a good week now and after the holiday they are now doing work again. Didn't get much but I'm happy with anything, beats parks / begging for permissions any day. I did run into some trouble though as i forgot to bring my headset this time and the beeping must of gotten to this older lady, she comes out on her porch and says, "Why you been doin' dat beepin' **** all day"(I was there for an hour tops). Long story short I had to explain that it was public right of way yadda yadda and it wasn't her property. In the end she lightened up and started asking question about the hobby. At least she didn't call the cops so i guess i diffused the situation as best as i could.

On top of my posted pic's of my best finds i also found 9 wheat pennies ranging from oldest 1912 to 1955, 1 wheat is so beat I can't grab a date off it just yet. The ring below I have had a hard time ID'ing so maybe the community has an idea on what that mint mark says. Cool ring though, seems pretty vintage, I'm guessing 40's-60's. It's 20.4 grams.

19g 925 Ring front.JPG 19g 925 Ring mintmark.JPG 19g 925 Ring.JPG

42' merc back.JPG 42' merc front.JPG

45' Washington Back.JPG 45' Washington Front.JPG

Upvote 12

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , nice hunt ! The ring obviously is made in Mexico , and I'm guessing more on the 60's side of your date range from
the style of it . I cant make out the center hallmark in your pic -which might pin down the dating a bit . The coins look like
they were dropped the month they were minted .

OP
OP
L

Loomis

May 3, 2015
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow , nice hunt ! The ring obviously is made in Mexico , and I'm guessing more on the 60's side of your date range from
the style of it . I cant make out the center hallmark in your pic -which might pin down the dating a bit . The coins look like
they were dropped the month they were minted .

Yeah that mint mark pic is the best I could do with my phone sadly :(. The silver is in great shape, I agree, most of the very few silver coins I've collected since I started the hobby in march have always been in great shape, no complaints there lol. I'm going back to see what new sections they've dug up. I also asked the workers if they could park the excavator on the street and not on the freshly uncovered dirt(That's what they have been doing since the beginning, it really kills my total finds I think since I can't go even a foot from the thing without getting un-huntable falsing. The guys didn't have a problem with my request so I guess we'll see tonight! Thanks for checking out my hunt.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something so exciting about sidewalk tear out hunts - basically you are exposed to a time capsule - in most cases
dirt that has never been looked at by a detector . Hope you can grab some more !

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DOC LOOMIS, BOY COINS AND RING , IS IT GOLD OR SILVER OR IS IT PLAIN ? FROM THE LOOKS OF IT A VERY NICE FIND , FOR ON THE FACE OF IT A VERY COOL LOOKING COMPASS DESIGN. NEAT..............

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver saves

Top Member Reactions