Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old dug lead soldier need I'd help please

Hello all I found two of these soldiers hunting today i think union cavelry but not sure any help with id and date would be great thanks for reading. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 4

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tri-cornered hat! They represent soldiers about 100 years earlier methinks :laughing7:

Sub is your man as far as dating when they were made :thumbsup: My guess late 1880s - 1920s.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that's what kind of soldiers you have--not when they were made. Subterranean is the man for the ID.

Very nice finds :thumbsup:

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THE BRITISH ARE COMING !THE BRITISH ARE COMING ! THOSE OLD SOLDIERS ARE COOL FINDS. LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE REPORTING TO WASHINGTON.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE BRITISH ARE COMING !THE BRITISH ARE COMING ! THOSE OLD SOLDIERS ARE COOL FINDS. LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE REPORTING TO WASHINGTON.

Suphin beat me to it. These guys are most likely a representation of Revolutionary War figure (tricorn hat) "Paul Revere," on his midnight ride. See how he is cupping his hand to his face? As for dates of manufacture, most likely from a "Do it yourself" kit produced in the Victorian era, 1890's-1920's. They are semi-flat "two dimensional" solid cast, not blow molded, typical of a two-piece mold. And you have two of the same figures, most likely meaning the child made many from the same mold. Are there remnants of paint? One thing also, there is very little extra "flashing," i.e., left-over lead around the mold lines, usually indicating poor molds or sloppy manufacturing. Somebody did these soldiers correctly and/or trimmed them nicely. I have not seen this particular figure show up in any commercially-made sets, and that is why I am leaning toward a home-based do-it-yourself set. Hope this helps! Sub 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions