Red hits the motherload

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone, I'm so sorry it's been awhile, I've been keeping busy with chiropractor appointments, garden work when I can and detecting, and jewelry projects. I hope your all doing great and are surviving the weather. We've only received under an inch since May, thank goodness we have the river nearby!
We got out very early, and we were so happy that it was a little cloudy and cool, as it's been in the high nineties for over a week, every time we go to the river, we have to put out fires in logs, especially the ones near tree's, and grass that are very dry now, the blackberries are ripening now!
Saturday after watching the news, we learned a young man had lost his life in the river, near a popular spot the younger people go, we decided to go to a different area, as the sheriffs and divers were looking for him that morning. The river is wide and a few miles long, so we thought we were safe going to the farthest away from them as we could. The water was extremely low, and we eagerly started swinging after our good luck kiss, LOL lots of pictures 639.jpg lots of pictures 637.jpg the osprey have two in the nest, they got kind of skittish when Chug got closer to them, both parents were focused on him, they would stretch out their wings making themselves look huge! They are gorgeous birds, and it is so cool to watch them catch a fish out of the water, such graceful birds!
As we got around the corner, we saw the boats, and divers, as we sat and rested on a log under a tree, we talked about if we were going to go down the beach any further. We decided to not go farther, out of respect for what was going on, Chug went down to the water, and using his scoop he made a line going from the water up to the tree's, neither of us went over it, there was a cameraman from one of the news channel's filming what was happening.
Going back the way we had come, we both stayed in the water, oh, I forgot to tell you, Chug got me a really cool present!!!! lots of pictures 658.jpg isn't she pretty? My very own scoop so I can search the water without having to wait for Chug to come and scoop up what I found, btw, thank you sweetie, your awesome! I did great on clad, I found $1.73, Chug got this awesome car lots of pictures 646.jpg it kept coming up silver, he must have scooped I don't know how many times before he finally got it, YAY! I found another towel, this one is nice and thick and big, after being washed a couple of times, it will go right into the cabinet! I know, what can I say, we haven't had to buy towels since I've been detecting!
laughing7.gif
I found this cool pipe, lots of pictures 660.jpg lots of pictures 661.jpg , nails and of course garbage.
There is a large area we love to hit when the water is very low, and negative low, Chug kicked my butt with all the grey matter he dug lots of pictures 656.jpg and he scored with this beauty! lots of pictures 659.jpg
We were walking around, slowly scanning and walking when we saw the boats going by us, they had found the young man. Now some of you might laugh, but I can see and feel spirits, Chug can to once in a while. Anyway, peace came over us, I can't explain it, things just felt different. About a half hour later, Chug found this coin, lots of pictures 655.jpg and I found pennies. I was in to almost my knees, the water lapping gently around me, the tiny little yellow birds flitting around the water when it happened.............
Buttercup started singing, she trilled up and down a few times, then I had a strong silver/quarter signal, you know what that mean's, I'm digging it! I had a hard time getting through the first layer, I had to dig through rocks, silt, mud and sand. My first scoopful, nothing. So I pinpoint again with buttercup, dig down, strike two. I still was getting a good solid tone, so down I went again with small waves stirring up the sand........ untitled omg wtf.png At first I thought it was a token, I kept looking at it and couldn't make out much, so I put it in my pocket. Chug had been watching me, so he waded over to me and asked what I had found. "I don't know" I answered, he asked to see it so I pulled it out and handed it to him, he looked down, said a few words, of which I cannot say here, &#+*@*! you get the idea, then he says, "You found a silver dollar!" I looked at him, "No" Chug was so excited, proud and pissed, he has always wanted to find one, it's on his bucket list! lots of pictures 632.jpg lots of pictures 631.jpg This is how it looked after I rinsed it. When we got home, we took turns gently washing it with soap and a toothbrush. We tried peroxide next, lots of pictures 643.jpg and got it to this point. now more is visible and we are so happy we can't stop talking about it. lots of pictures 645.jpg lots of pictures 644.jpg lots of pictures 642.jpg From what we can see, it's a 1873 silver trade dollar, we are still gently cleaning it to see if we can get more detail. I never thought in my wildest dreams I would be lucky enough to find such an awesome coin! I still can't believe I found it, and to top off my day, I was up under the tree's checking some logs out. As I slowly looked up, I came eye to eye with this creature. lots of pictures 652.jpg LOL yup, he is ceramic and concrete and weighs about ten pounds. I didn't think twice, that baby was coming home with us. I showed Chug when he came up for a rest break, I showed him this, and all he says is "If you want it, your carrying it" His name is Jonathan and I ended up wrapping him in the towel I found, then tying two hair kerchiefs through the knotted up towel, Chug thought it was hilarious. We cannot make this stuff up, we see, hear and dig stuff up, so many days we only find a few coins, and trash, once in a while, it is such a rush to dig up such an old coin, in the river, by myself! Thank you Chug for my new scoop, Hi Ho Silver, for without you, I never would have had such a wonderful and fun day!!!!
We are taking pictures as we clean the coin, to document our progress, and will keep you updated on it! Thank you for reading, take care, stay safe and HH! Red
hello.gif

P.S. We don't know the young man's name who passed, our deepest regrets go out to his family and friends, and our prayers, please, please be careful when your in the water, accidents happen so D*#@*d fast, too many people are losing their lives way too young. Chug and Red

Upvote 42

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rare trade dollar with your new scoop! Now that's how to do it! Congrats!
Nice to see you two posting again!

That's a nice looking Jonathan the sea gull. Chug's Nautica knife is a great find, I love finding "useful" stuff.

From all the stuff that has fallen off cars along the highway to Cape Cod you could furnish a house!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dollar is a great find. Great post and congratulations

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice post as always ! Congrats on that huge old Silver too ! Might get to go hunt today haven't for a while, getting digging withdrawals here lol ...

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing coin

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bet You Cant Guess Where We Are Going to Be Hunting this Weekend!!! Yep Both Days Even though the Tide Will Be A lot Different!!! I'm Digging Everything My At Pro Overloaded On this Coin!! HH Chug And Red Bonus the Water level Is 1 foot Lower that Last Weekend So I only Have to Go Calf Deep!!! Wish us More Luck!!! Chug

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Freakin' awesome find.
I would definitely consider that the mother lode. That must have been one heck of a surprise once that crud started coming off.
Congrats.

Last edited:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.That pipe seems to be from the 420 tribe of the stone heads.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool you found my exotic tobacco pipe man I knew I lost it somewhere but for some reason I couldn't remember! Great finds get that big one cleaned up!

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Red, CONGRATULATIONS on your silver dollar trade coin!!!!! And an old seated 1 to top it off#? I'm assuming it is from the date. I heard about that unfortunate young man that drowned the other day, pretty sad. I'm in Clackamas so not far from your area. Wow, now you've sure got me wanting to hunt more along the river lol.

I'll be glad when it cools down, been way too hot for our area! Nice hunt and finds you both hsd. GL & HH!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Miss Kitty :cat:
I get the "red" part, but just out of curiosity why does she call you "chug"? :laughing7::occasion14: This has been on my mind for years :dontknow:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find...congrats...hope it cleans up for you.

M_d_in_guy

Jan 12, 2015
Jasper, Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
really enjoyed the read, congrats on your respects given and your finds

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story!

That 1873 Trade dollar is worth at least $80 if legit. Careful, though, as there's a LOT of counterfeit ones out there. Run a basic silver test (Magnets, spit), and weigh it . SHould be 420 grains less whatever came off in cleaning/wear.

AWESOME finds!!

Skippy

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding hunt and sweet silver fish Red

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its Going to Take Awhile fore this Beauty!!! Our Scale is Not Working So We Will Have to Wait A Little Longer For The Answer !!! Its Crusty After 142 Years Chug!!! Red Will try For More pictures Tomorrow!! Chug

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red hit's the motherlode update

Hi everyone, I hope your all doing great, and are having a good week. We've been gently cleaning my coin now for the past couple of weeks, and we are seeing more detail than we did before! :hello2: I still cannot believe I found her, am I silly for crying? LOL
silver dollar 046.JPG silver dollar 048.JPG silver dollar 045.JPG the obverse? will take some time, there is pitting and we don't want to hurt her. We showed one of the tenants here my coin, he said we should use tarnx, omg we both said "Hell no!" he didn't understand how it can damage silver this old.:icon_scratch: We can't wait for this weekend so we can hit the river again, after we get me new sand shoes, the ones I had only lasted maybe a month, and I'm easy on shoes! We thought for sure Chug's would go first, as he is hard on shoes, he goes through 8 to 10 pairs a year, while working. He is on his feet everyday and walks a few miles a day while working.
We didn't find much this past weekend, but we sure had fun! Saturday was cruising the gut, we were lucky to find a good spot to park, we were able to sit in the back of the truck quite comfortably. Saturday was hot and in the 90's, so we came up with this idea to keep the sun off us! 7-19-15 408.JPG :laughing7: next year we are upgrading it! Here are some of our favorites this year, car show 007.jpg car show 013.jpg car show 016.jpg car show 030.jpg car show 038.jpg 7-19-15 382.JPG 7-19-15 388.JPG 7-19-15 439.JPG we were there for 9 hours, we loaded the cooler with ice, 24 waters and fruit to snack on. we gave 15 bottles of water out, and gave a transient water and food, both of which he thanked us and said it was nice there are still nice people around. 7-19-15 421.JPG Elvis showed up, 7-19-15 513.JPG we also saw the tin man! We also saw this adorable little guy, 7-19-15 510.JPG isn't he just too cute?!
Time to rest now, we'll post more pictures soon of the coin, thank you for reading and all your comments, take care and stay safe, and HH! Red:hello:

Attachments

• 7-19-15 496.JPG
    7-19-15 496.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Miss Kitty :cat:
I get the "red" part, but just out of curiosity why does she call you "chug"? :laughing7::occasion14: This has been on my mind for years :dontknow:

When Chug was a baby, he used to chug his bottle down, so he became "Chug" and his twin is roseytoes! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions