Red hits the motherload

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone, I'm so sorry it's been awhile, I've been keeping busy with chiropractor appointments, garden work when I can and detecting, and jewelry projects. I hope your all doing great and are surviving the weather. We've only received under an inch since May, thank goodness we have the river nearby!
We got out very early, and we were so happy that it was a little cloudy and cool, as it's been in the high nineties for over a week, every time we go to the river, we have to put out fires in logs, especially the ones near tree's, and grass that are very dry now, the blackberries are ripening now!
Saturday after watching the news, we learned a young man had lost his life in the river, near a popular spot the younger people go, we decided to go to a different area, as the sheriffs and divers were looking for him that morning. The river is wide and a few miles long, so we thought we were safe going to the farthest away from them as we could. The water was extremely low, and we eagerly started swinging after our good luck kiss, LOL lots of pictures 639.jpg lots of pictures 637.jpg the osprey have two in the nest, they got kind of skittish when Chug got closer to them, both parents were focused on him, they would stretch out their wings making themselves look huge! They are gorgeous birds, and it is so cool to watch them catch a fish out of the water, such graceful birds!
As we got around the corner, we saw the boats, and divers, as we sat and rested on a log under a tree, we talked about if we were going to go down the beach any further. We decided to not go farther, out of respect for what was going on, Chug went down to the water, and using his scoop he made a line going from the water up to the tree's, neither of us went over it, there was a cameraman from one of the news channel's filming what was happening.
Going back the way we had come, we both stayed in the water, oh, I forgot to tell you, Chug got me a really cool present!!!! lots of pictures 658.jpg isn't she pretty? My very own scoop so I can search the water without having to wait for Chug to come and scoop up what I found, btw, thank you sweetie, your awesome! I did great on clad, I found $1.73, Chug got this awesome car lots of pictures 646.jpg it kept coming up silver, he must have scooped I don't know how many times before he finally got it, YAY! I found another towel, this one is nice and thick and big, after being washed a couple of times, it will go right into the cabinet! I know, what can I say, we haven't had to buy towels since I've been detecting!
laughing7.gif
I found this cool pipe, lots of pictures 660.jpg lots of pictures 661.jpg , nails and of course garbage.
There is a large area we love to hit when the water is very low, and negative low, Chug kicked my butt with all the grey matter he dug lots of pictures 656.jpg and he scored with this beauty! lots of pictures 659.jpg
We were walking around, slowly scanning and walking when we saw the boats going by us, they had found the young man. Now some of you might laugh, but I can see and feel spirits, Chug can to once in a while. Anyway, peace came over us, I can't explain it, things just felt different. About a half hour later, Chug found this coin, lots of pictures 655.jpg and I found pennies. I was in to almost my knees, the water lapping gently around me, the tiny little yellow birds flitting around the water when it happened.............
Buttercup started singing, she trilled up and down a few times, then I had a strong silver/quarter signal, you know what that mean's, I'm digging it! I had a hard time getting through the first layer, I had to dig through rocks, silt, mud and sand. My first scoopful, nothing. So I pinpoint again with buttercup, dig down, strike two. I still was getting a good solid tone, so down I went again with small waves stirring up the sand........ untitled omg wtf.png At first I thought it was a token, I kept looking at it and couldn't make out much, so I put it in my pocket. Chug had been watching me, so he waded over to me and asked what I had found. "I don't know" I answered, he asked to see it so I pulled it out and handed it to him, he looked down, said a few words, of which I cannot say here, &#+*@*! you get the idea, then he says, "You found a silver dollar!" I looked at him, "No" Chug was so excited, proud and pissed, he has always wanted to find one, it's on his bucket list! lots of pictures 632.jpg lots of pictures 631.jpg This is how it looked after I rinsed it. When we got home, we took turns gently washing it with soap and a toothbrush. We tried peroxide next, lots of pictures 643.jpg and got it to this point. now more is visible and we are so happy we can't stop talking about it. lots of pictures 645.jpg lots of pictures 644.jpg lots of pictures 642.jpg From what we can see, it's a 1873 silver trade dollar, we are still gently cleaning it to see if we can get more detail. I never thought in my wildest dreams I would be lucky enough to find such an awesome coin! I still can't believe I found it, and to top off my day, I was up under the tree's checking some logs out. As I slowly looked up, I came eye to eye with this creature. lots of pictures 652.jpg LOL yup, he is ceramic and concrete and weighs about ten pounds. I didn't think twice, that baby was coming home with us. I showed Chug when he came up for a rest break, I showed him this, and all he says is "If you want it, your carrying it" His name is Jonathan and I ended up wrapping him in the towel I found, then tying two hair kerchiefs through the knotted up towel, Chug thought it was hilarious. We cannot make this stuff up, we see, hear and dig stuff up, so many days we only find a few coins, and trash, once in a while, it is such a rush to dig up such an old coin, in the river, by myself! Thank you Chug for my new scoop, Hi Ho Silver, for without you, I never would have had such a wonderful and fun day!!!!
We are taking pictures as we clean the coin, to document our progress, and will keep you updated on it! Thank you for reading, take care, stay safe and HH! Red
hello.gif

P.S. We don't know the young man's name who passed, our deepest regrets go out to his family and friends, and our prayers, please, please be careful when your in the water, accidents happen so D*#@*d fast, too many people are losing their lives way too young. Chug and Red

Upvote 42
OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Freakin' awesome find.
I would definitely consider that the mother lode. That must have been one heck of a surprise once that crud started coming off.
Congrats.

A huge surprise, I haven't found a gold ring yet, but I'll take my coin any day, I knew there is stuff in the river, there is a lot of history in our town, we just never thought either of us would find anything like this, much less in the river! Red

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds.That pipe seems to be from the 420 tribe of the stone heads.

Yep, definitely the 420 tribe, it's rather large around here, this tribe loves to leave their butt floss and raincoats behind, usually under bushes, tress and logs.:dontknow:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the silver dollar recovery!

Thank you for the great story and photos.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I didn't read through all of the posts... so what is it? Is it some kind of pattern? Is it silver? Doesn't look like the obverse of a trade dollar, but more resembles patterns of the same date (at least the bottom portion of the design on the obverse).

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't read through all of the posts... so what is it? Is it some kind of pattern? Is it silver? Doesn't look like the obverse of a trade dollar, but more resembles patterns of the same date (at least the bottom portion of the design on the obverse).

We still are not able to Get Good Pictures Of the Other Side This coin is Very Incrusted With Over 100 Years Of Crud Here Is A Link Of the oin In Perfect Condition HH Chug

1873-CC and 1878-CC Trade Dollar | TradeDollar.org

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
It's certainly interesting, but trade dollars don't have that design. Check out how liberty looks to be in a globe. For a trade dollar, it's on a ribbon. Here's a pattern dollar dated 1873... you can see a better resemblance than to a trade dollar itself.

Attachments

• 1873 image.jpg
    1873 image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 212
OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are still trying to get more Details On the Coin to Verify It Chug!!!

TwoRivers

Oct 1, 2012
Northeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Minelab Sovreign XS

Minelab Excaliber 1000................Garrett Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the nice coin find!........I've only found one silver dollar (Mexican) in 30 years of hunting... Maybe before I croak I'll find one........:dontknow:

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red , testing 123 is onto something here - the Obverse that you have revealed to us is definitely not a Standard U.S.
Trade Dollar - not even close - Other than some kind of pattern coin (which would be BIG NEWS !!!) I don't have a clue as to
what you have here ? But the story just got much more interesting - Any Coin Experts Out there , please chime in !!!

( I meant to say that what you found is design wise the same as the large picture at the top of this page
what does it weigh ? If genuine this could be a really exciting find ! Please get this in front of a
professional coin dealer ! If it was a "Standard Trade Dollar you had an exciting find - If it turns out
to be a genuine Pattern Dollar - it's off the charts !)

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(''Better Late Than Never'') WOW! :notworthy: Looks like you both had an amazing and exciting day. You may want to have your coin professionally looked at and cleaned. Okay CHUG, it's your turn to find a Keeper and share in the experience.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey just a bump up and please keep us up to speed after you have someone look at that coin (what is the weight ?)

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed your story and your finds are fantasti!. Looking forward to results after cleanup. Congrats!

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weight on the Scale I just Found In An Apt 18.3 Grams Should Be ???

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's certainly interesting, but trade dollars don't have that design. Check out how liberty looks to be in a globe. For a trade dollar, it's on a ribbon. Here's a pattern dollar dated 1873... you can see a better resemblance than to a trade dollar itself.
is there a pic of the back ? ,,,,Chug try to get a pic of the back then invert color of the pics it may show details you can not see i think i see ( .900 ) over where it says Trade Dollar

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is there a pic of the back ? ,,,,Chug try to get a pic of the back then invert color of the pics it may show details you can not see i think i see ( .900 ) over where it says Trade Dollar
Sorry at this time Its Not possible to see the Details of this side of the Coin It has So much corrosion and Build up I Cant Get Any details to Show other that Trade doller Will Work Harder on tis Side Now!!! Thanks Chug and Red

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update Red Just Found the 900 and showed it to Me She Had the Jeweler's loop Its so crusty We cant get a Good Picture!!!I will Be working on this area Soon!!! Chug

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is the Image That were seeing With the naked eye Now Working on it Chug and Red

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG We should Have thought Of this!!! Magnet test??? Pass Or Fail??? Chug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions