A Tale of 2 Silvers (One Being 340 Years Old!)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got permission for a new site on Thursday which I knew was just loaded with potential. It's on a hill over a river in the heart of Acadian and Loyalist territory. I only had an hour on Thursday so I combed the site but didn't immediately find an actual site. I picked up several flat buttons and lots of lead so I knew I was in the neighbourhood. This morning I had a couple hours before family obligations so I went back to start where I left off on Thursday.

First target was this partially squashed sporting button...good start but not quite old enough...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841193.050900.jpg

After another 20 minutes without anything except some horse tack I got that unmistakeable silver tone. Very carefully I dug the target and I see the gleam of silver in the hole. Images of Spanish silver start flashing in my head until I pull the 1963 silver dime.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437842473.944748.jpg

I hate being on an old site and pulling modern silver...very bittersweet. Dauntless I keep detecting and just as I'm about to wrap it up for the day I get another decent tone...not as high as the silver dime but still in that silver range. Once again I carefully dig my hole and see what I immediately know is old silver...it's got that old silver tone that we all look for...and sure enough it's a 1675 French silver 4 Sol...just what I was hoping to find! Even has a very nice lustre that I have not seen on this type of coin before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841929.558019.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841956.791391.jpg

A return trip is definitely in my near future...luckily it's quite a large area so it should keep me busy for a while!

Last edited:
Upvote 54

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that coin is amazing! With that much age and as crisp as it is, not to mention the amazing rainbow toning. Banner find in my opinion

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow!, how did I miss this post earlier!, 1675??? holy crap that's awesome, I really like the toning on it, im voting banner!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful coin there!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be happy if I found just the dime! Haha
Silver is scarce it seems for me right now. Hope that changes soon. That is one nice French coin. Congrats! [emoji2]

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be happy if I found just the dime! Haha
Silver is scarce it seems for me right now. Hope that changes soon. That is one nice French coin. Congrats! [emoji2]

Thanks! Silver seems to be quite rare for me as well so I was fortunate to get 2 in one hunt...although the types of sites I hunt and am more likely to find older silver as opposed to newer which made the 53 dime a bittersweet surprise.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet ! French Silver, A 1600's Silver is still on my top ten list.
Got a 1650's copper last year so maybe...
This was two days ago, did you get back ?
Hard to imagine any virgin sites left in your area.
I have got to get out, can't find anything in here.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic old silver. Great detail on that one. I say BANNER!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner find in my books and hope one day to get one under my coil…congrats buddy

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! Silver seems to be quite rare for me as well so I was fortunate to get 2 in one hunt...although the types of sites I hunt and am more likely to find older silver as opposed to newer which made the 53 dime a bittersweet surprise.

I have to start going a little further out of my way soon for spots i guess. My area has been great to me for silvers but i hit them all hard because how close they are. With the long grass right now I'm even more limited for old places. There are lots more untouched places close to me but that means some door knocking to get at them! [emoji2]

tony2163

Greenie
May 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just glad I left Tony at home...he would have been swimming back to the car if he had found this!

I did managed to find a couple of silvers, one Canadian and one Spanish 1784 Spanish half reale. Luckily Patrick wasn't there so I didn't have to swim home :laughing7:

1784 Spanish half reale back.jpg 1784 Spanish half reale front.jpg 1920 5 cents back.jpg 1920 5 cents front.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread