A Tale of 2 Silvers (One Being 340 Years Old!)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got permission for a new site on Thursday which I knew was just loaded with potential. It's on a hill over a river in the heart of Acadian and Loyalist territory. I only had an hour on Thursday so I combed the site but didn't immediately find an actual site. I picked up several flat buttons and lots of lead so I knew I was in the neighbourhood. This morning I had a couple hours before family obligations so I went back to start where I left off on Thursday.

First target was this partially squashed sporting button...good start but not quite old enough...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841193.050900.jpg

After another 20 minutes without anything except some horse tack I got that unmistakeable silver tone. Very carefully I dug the target and I see the gleam of silver in the hole. Images of Spanish silver start flashing in my head until I pull the 1963 silver dime.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437842473.944748.jpg

I hate being on an old site and pulling modern silver...very bittersweet. Dauntless I keep detecting and just as I'm about to wrap it up for the day I get another decent tone...not as high as the silver dime but still in that silver range. Once again I carefully dig my hole and see what I immediately know is old silver...it's got that old silver tone that we all look for...and sure enough it's a 1675 French silver 4 Sol...just what I was hoping to find! Even has a very nice lustre that I have not seen on this type of coin before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841929.558019.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437841956.791391.jpg

A return trip is definitely in my near future...luckily it's quite a large area so it should keep me busy for a while!

Last edited:
Upvote 54

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin and looks like some nice toning. Curious to see it after the dirt is removed.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking coin for being so old! Very nice score there!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that old silver coin is way too cool for words.Awesome find you have unearthed there!!!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is Amazing!!..I couldnt imagine finding something this old....not to mention its in AWESOME Shape

Killer Find Romeo-1!!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin and looks like some nice toning. Curious to see it after the dirt is removed.

I'm just glad I left Tony at home...he would have been swimming back to the car if he had found this!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just glad I left Tony at home...he would have been swimming back to the car if he had found this!

I still have the water wings that were intended for you. Want em? :laughing7:

I think your area is the only chance I'll really have for one of those. French is getting so tough here.... but still possible at the old favorites.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friggin fantastic coin.
Love to see that one clean.

Killer R1.

EDIT* - Ya know... his coin is a banner in my book... just because of the "crispness" of it.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friggin fantastic coin.
Love to see that one CAREFULLY cleaned.

Killer R1.

EDIT* - Ya know... cleaned... this coin is a banner in my book... just because of the "crispness" of it.

Unfortunately when it comes to most metal detecting forums Spanish silver gets more credit than French, even though French is usually older and posted way less often. Also the same with American Rev War buttons vs Loyalist, but I can't really complain about that because I have had two go up on the banner. I'm just talking what the average digger seems to like and be more familiar with.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh... 1675 Silver in that condition... from Spain... France... England... friggin Tim Buck Two...

Ill take it... banner or not... all day long. :)

Edited "America" to "England"... sheesh heh

PS>>> ANY coin with the first 2 digits being a 16 anything... is rare in my book.
At least for this side of the pond.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great looking silver! Congratulations on the keeper, and I hope that you are going to be able to get a good many from the new site.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great looking silver! Congratulations on the keeper, and I hope that you are going to be able to get a good many from the new site.

There's a good chance this could be the new "goto site" for a few weeks anyway...lot's of field to detect!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a killer old silver bud. That would keep me coming back for awhile. The toning is amazing. Vinos 8R had that nice rainbow look as well

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That 1675 is killer

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately when it comes to most metal detecting forums Spanish silver gets more credit than French, even though French is usually older and posted way less often. Also the same with American Rev War buttons vs Loyalist, but I can't really complain about that because I have had two go up on the banner. I'm just talking what the average digger seems to like and be more familiar with.

I would be just as excited digging old French silver as I am digging Spanish. I have the same sentiment when it comes to forum posts. That is an outstanding coin Romeo and I'm voting banner for age and condition. It would look beautiful up top!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beautiful French silver in nice condition! A rare find even in my neck of the woods, not to mention the new world....Congrats, super find! :icon_thumleft:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY ROMEO MAY HAVE OUT DONE YOURSELF ON THIS ONE BRO. 1675 AND THE COIN STILL HAS A SHINE. NICE ONE.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible old silver

Top Member Reactions