Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Surprise #1
A friend who has been invaluable in providing local CW history to the Tenn. Trio owned a relic that I have always admired as it was found in the 1940-50s in Gen. George Crook’s U.S. camp where we have dug hundreds of relics. An older friend of his picked it up from under the leaves and the guy died in 1961. Many people have tried to buy it from my friend over the years but he declined. I saw my friend at an artifact show Saturday and he asked me if I wanted to buy it. Of course, I did. It’s a New Model Remington .44 cal. revolver. Unfortunately, it’s missing the cylinder, loading lever, and trigger guard. The Tennessee pin in my avatar came from the same camp area where the pistol was found. It would appear that this revolver was disassembled and scavenged for parts. S/N not readable.
Surprise #2
While dreaming about cooler weather and relic hunting with the Trio & Tenn. Digger, I picked up a plastic box that I thought was empty. It was not empty and I found these relics that I dug last year. I usually clean relics for pics when I get home but I guess I missed these.
Come on fall. HH, Q.

Attachments

• DSCN1657.JPG
    DSCN1657.JPG
    477.8 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN1653.JPG
    DSCN1653.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 17

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1266 NICE 44 AND OTHER CIVIL WAR FINDS.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr. Q, this just attests to how much the gentleman admires your appreciation for the history of that revolver. I know this will become one of your most prized relics of the Civil War. Congrats on finally acquiring a very nice piece of history.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You finally got to buy the pistol you've always wanted, that's something really special! :thumbsup:

Dave

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Q, Way to go on scoring the pistol!!! Good things come to those who wait. Your MD finds for today are the ones I like to find in the summer time . . . .with NO snakes, NO ticks, NO mosquitoes!

Congrats :thumbsup:
Breezie

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Quindy....way to go on that relic. Those chances don't come along too often and I'm glad that you are now the proud owner. Good for you. To have a pistol like that form an area that you have not only hunted but is near and dear is amazing!!! Congrats on an awesome relic.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on a personal piece of history! Glad you were able to acquire it. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread