Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the dual field back from repair yesterday. was working a beach out in chest deep water decided only to dig the faint sounds due to so much aluminium just under the surface.got my 83rd Gold ring for the year and a hobo nickel dated 1929 have seen pictures of these nickles and always hoped I would find one. What I have noticed is that you never see any posted on here, unlike GW buttons, Gold coins ect. So am I right that they are hard to find? Looking foward to everyone's input. Thanks

Attachments

• 1438211732311.jpg
    1438211732311.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 407
  • 1438211752753.jpg
    1438211752753.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:
Upvote 32

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to see others that were found also

P, I tried to find the one I saw on Find's years ago, last night but the crazy way their forums are partitioned by machine--I couldn't seem to find it. I know I saw one there, because the digger didn't know what it was and someone said it was a Hobo nickel--that's the only reason I knew what yours was as soon as I saw it. I also not sure how far back their search goes. I *think* I saw one here or at least they were discussed with me posting because I know I read that Hobo Society link and also realized that a lot of modern ones are being made with all kinds of weird art using Jefferson nickels, but these are made with power tools and possibly laser engraving so I don't really consider them to be "true" Hobo nickels, just carved coins. Your nickel smacks of vintage hand carving, regardless of what Slowwevo posted, and I'll easily bet what you have is the real deal. Have you heard back from the society yet? Wonder if there's a forum for Hobo nickels on the internet somewhere. It's a very interesting and cool historical find!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes ive visited the hobo site for about a year now,My first comment was to suggest this wasn't a 1st gen artist based on the date alone,to keep things civil,i think its safe to say,this wasn't made from 1913-1928,still a piece of art
also thanks for the buffalo shot plymouth

You sound pretty confident in your assertion and I'm just curious what you are seeing (as you haven't mentioned any tell-tale signs) that makes you believe it was not made near the date of the coin (the coin was 1920-something so obviously it was not made in the teens). Looking forward to your reply.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty sure my last comment tells you what your asking,I feel this back and forth detracts from Plymouths finds, so I'm done

Your last comment tells me nothing other than you think it was a later carving without providing any justification. Plymouthian is a long time poster here and a smart man so I think that any discussion of the coin would be something he'd be interested in and not taking away from the find, but enhancing it. Typically we like to get at the facts here regarding finds which I believe is what makes this site so great!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The simple style of this Hobo Nickel is quite consistent with the Original Styles (obviously it's from 1929 on ) but I don't know
how a case can be made for it being a modern interpretation -( unless evidence of rotary power tools can be found under
extreme magnification ), this one has all the hallmarks of the early movement .

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes ive visited the hobo site for about a year now,My first comment was to suggest this wasn't a 1st gen artist based on the date alone,to keep things civil,i think its safe to say,this wasn't made from 1913-1928,still a piece of art
also thanks for the buffalo shot plymouth

slowwevo,

I do not believe that you attempting to disparage the find, but, since there is clearly a lack of expertise in the area of hobo nickels here (myself, especially), I too would like you to provide a little more detail regarding your above statement.

When you say it was not made by "a 1st gen artist based on the date alone" are you saying it was not carved contemporary with the coin's date (1929), or are you saying it can't be a 1st generation artist, because it clearly wasn't created between 1913 and 1928? (ie, does 1913-1928 define the period for 1st generation artists?).

Just trying to understand hobo nickels better, myself.

BTW, great find Plymouth...

TCK

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I was away,to clarify,most who know about these early guys know,they preferred buff nicks in the teens,mostly and more specific 1913,that coupled with the fact that,one side is toned,and one side is not,if it came from the ocean like he said,it probably is a newer enthusiast,or a freshly lost coin from an old collection that toned on one side,these are just my opinions
Also I don't believe there is a defined start/end date for the term 1st gen,more like the first group doing it ......hope this helps

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I was away,to clarify,most who know about these early guys know,they preferred buff nicks in the teens,mostly and more specific 1913,that coupled with the fact that,one side is toned,and one side is not,if it came from the ocean like he said,it probably is a newer enthusiast,or a freshly lost coin from an old collection that toned on one side,these are just my opinions
Also I don't believe there is a defined start/end date for the term 1st gen,more like the first group doing it ......hope this helps

If you look at the known carvers page, true there are man in the teens, but also several spanning the 20s-30s. This one is in the 20s so the date doesn't really provide much information one way of the other. As far as toning it was found in the ocean, and the patina to my eye is about the same on either side. The grinding action of the sand is going "clean" the coin as opposed to a dug nickel as I'm sure you're well aware. The artwork is certainly very similar to the artwork on the known artist page. Sure they can still be duplicated by hand by artisans, but it's unlikely. The newer ones generally look new with all sorts of crazy designs. Occam's Razor tells me it's most likely vintage. Let's see what the Hobo Nickel Society says. My money is on it being original.

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to me that were it was carved is where the black sand settled due to being deeper that the rest of the coin therefore it stained the deeper areas where the sand couldn't clean it. A little history on the beach. We find coins going back to the 1700s and the seem to be in great shape

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Girlfriend got a couple reals from the beach also

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the. Beach gave up about 40 reals the year before last I know of 8 so far this year

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No update yet sent an email to the hobo society and just waiting on a response

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds. The hobo nickel is really cool and that gold ring is beautiful.

Congrats on a fantastic hunt.

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kent! Sorry for the slow reply to your original email. This does appear to be an original hobo nickel, but it has not yet been catalogued and nicknamed, so it as of yet unnamed. Nice coin with a super cool story!

Chris Dempsey
www.hobonickels.org
www.hobocollector.com

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the follow-up and I stand by my assertion that it's a Banner find!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - It's sounds as though yours may be part of the catalog soon - Good Job ! Amazing isn't it when you put up a Gold ring
a part of your finds , and it's the least talked about of your finds !!!

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is funny about the ring no one finds hobo nickels though. I'm good with that

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm well beyond good with it ! Like Erik , I too have been major Banner advocate for this one of a kind hand carved find ! I have not yet
seen that there has ever been a dug Hobo Nickel on T- Net (I've looked ) Even if there was, they certainly are a more scarce find than
gold coins (which make Banner all the time ) And they have the "historical relevance " factor going for them too - A niche in American
Folk Art History !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread