Oh, What A Night!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned to my TRE (target rich environment) school yard yesterday evening. Weather was a bit more cooperative, thankfully. The battle-scarred ATPro started to sing the song of my peoples.

First find was my first badge, ironic because I have collected badges for over 35 years! Kansas City Transit, Inc. hat badge, no hallmark. May be a bus driver, truck line, or city rail badge. It rang up a solid 85 at 6" on the VDI.

I then had a nice little surprise with a solid 83 at 4" VDI, the result being a 1954 Eisenhower dime.

As the sun began to hide behind the treeline in the western sky, I got a standard clad quarter signal out in the middle of the lawn. That turned out to be a thin, flat oval of copper. I could see a reeded edge and knew it was some kid's railroad flattened quarter. (The tracks are 1/4 mile away.)

About 18" away from the flattened quarter, I got a screaming 95 at 2" VDI and thought, "aluminum can." Much to my surprise a chunky sterling ring exposed itself in the plug! After knocking the dirt out of the center, I saw standard US coin markings, YAY :hello2:, my first coin ring! After inspecting it with a loop at home, I saw the last number of the date inside, an "8." So , with the other findings, it is probably a 1948 or 1958 Ben Franklin half dollar that was crafted into a ring. It weighs in at 7.5 grams. Mrs. Sub has already claimed this one!:laughing7:

I also found a brass "wing" pendant and an alloy butterfly pendant. All in all, a great hunt for me and proof that it is never hunted out. (This is the fifth time I have hunted this lawn.) Happy hunting to all. Sub 8-)

Attachments

• badge1.JPG
    badge1.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 185
  • badge2.JPG
    badge2.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 173
  • badge3.JPG
    badge3.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 174
  • badge4.JPG
    badge4.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 173
  • badge5.JPG
    badge5.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 166
  • badge6.JPG
    badge6.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 168
  • badge7.JPG
    badge7.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 28

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome silver haul! A half dollar ring! Nice! The badge is a really nice find!
The more you hunt the better you find! Look out pot of gold here comes Sub!
Congrats really awesome finds!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver haul. Oh what a night, late December back in 63 lol

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Sub. Love the badge and the ring. Just wondering about the center ring inside. I found a half ring just recently and although the words inside are not as clear as yours it too has the raised ring inside. Must be mfg process.

IMG_20150722_120618.jpg

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin ring is very cool

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Sub. Love the badge and the ring. Just wondering about the center ring inside. I found a half ring just recently and although the words inside are not as clear as yours it too has the raised ring inside. Must be mfg process.

View attachment 1193365

Tylerbdad, I checked and there are several Youtube videos online showing how they are made. Its all new to me! Sub 8-)

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sub I've seen process for newly made rings. Is process for older made rings the same?

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome silver haul! A half dollar ring! Nice! The badge is a really nice find!
The more you hunt the better you find! Look out pot of gold here comes Sub!
Congrats really awesome finds!

Thanks MSBB, I always look forward to seeing your tot lot treasures too! No gold yet at this TRE school, but there are many signals in that range still out there. So much digging, so little treasures...Sub 8-)

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sub I've seen process for newly made rings. Is process for older made rings the same?

Your ring and my ring appear to be made by the same process, using a ball peen hammer around the edge against an anvil until flattened to the right width of the band, and then drilling or using a jeweler's saw to cut around the inner surface of the band, followed up by filing and sanding. I hope all the excess silver doesn't go to waste! Sub 8-)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"the result being a 1954 Eisenhower dime" :dontknow: That must be a rare one! :laughing7:

The badge and the coin ring are fantastic finds!! I have found neither like that so far. Congrats!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many good finds there Sub! A coin ring would be great to find!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are indeed some excellent videos on youtube of two very different methods of making coin rings - Yours is a fine
ring ! and a really good find . I always wear one that I made from a 1964 Kennedy half - by the same method as yours.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah SUB! That coin ring is super sweet! Congrats on a really cool find. I know that your "into" badges, so congrats on that too. I like the "Roosevelt" dime too!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OH WHAT A NIGHT LATE IN JULY 2015 , AND SUB HAS A NICE KCT BADGE FOR ALL OF US TO SEE . OH WHAT A BADGE OH WHAT A FIND.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great badge and half dollar silver ring is awesome, congrats on a great night.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread