Copper Axe

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Continued my recuperation yesterday afternoon. Had a couple of hours trying the Deus on P5. This is recommended for pasture, to find larger very deep objects. The field as yielded hundreds of coins for me, but nothing older than Victorian. The first 10 mins was silent, perhaps I had found all there was to be found. Then up turned a badly corrode George III cartwheel penny 1797. The penny came up from deep, this gave me encouragement. Another worn George III penny soon followed. The next hour was quiet, apart from a couple of more modern coins. I decided to move to the highest part of the field, from here you get a great view of the area. A thumping signal resulted in this little copper/bronze axe/chisel. It's only 6cm long, it's broken on one end. A very interesting little find. Certainly impressed with program 5. The axe could be very old.:icon_scratch:

Attachments

• IMG_6751.jpg
    IMG_6751.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6752.jpg
    IMG_6752.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6753.jpg
    IMG_6753.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6754.jpg
    IMG_6754.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 17

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unique recovery,congratulations.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FINDS IN ENGLAND ARE ALWAYS A FIRST . BUT THIS FELLA HAS A MAJOR RELIC A COPPER AXE THAT HE PULLED FROM THE DIRT . AMAZING FIND IF YOU WANT MY OPINON , AND WHEN THIS MEMBERS TITLE NAME SAYS ROB FINDS HE AINT KIDDING. AWESOME ........

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ancient relics are always a Welcome addition to your collection , that is far and beyond a good day!

Congrats ,

cmddawg

M_d_in_guy

Jan 12, 2015
Jasper, Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
very cool find, odd that a axe or hatchet head is made out of such a soft metal, I understand that from the bronze age, which makes me wonder where in time this cool find fits in.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a cool find Robert, liking it! Has me scratching the head wondering how old it actually is, the notched out part looks like where it was for attaching it to the handle but different.
Are you going to show it to the Flo to get an opinion?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find :occasion14:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool find

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does look old but doesn't have a bronze age look, odd really...

Maybe some kind of wood splitting wedge???

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
What a cool find Robert, liking it! Has me scratching the head wondering how old it actually is, the notched out part looks like where it was for attaching it to the handle but different.
Are you going to show it to the Flo to get an opinion?
Took it to a local museum this afternoon, no one in though who could help.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Does look old but doesn't have a bronze age look, odd really...

Maybe some kind of wood splitting wedge???
True Cru looks old, due to it being copper. Would have been much cheaper to have made it in iron. That's if iron was around. The blade end is flattened due to a lot of use.:dontknow:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be a naysayer but it looks like no Chalcolithic or Bronze age piece I've ever seen, especially with the hexagonal faceting and groove opposite the "blade". Soil conditions certainly vary of course but the patina looks far too young, the working end obviously wasn't kept sharp and the other end shows some slight mushrooming from being struck. I'm thinking it's a Medieval or later wedge, leather or lead working tool or perhaps something used to cram oakum or similar material into cracks. Hard to say really.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True Cru looks old, due to it being copper. Would have been much cheaper to have made it in iron. That's if iron was around. The blade end is flattened due to a lot of use.:dontknow:

So its taken lots of blows on the head, that indicates it might be a Medieval Metal working Tool.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
It is a COOL piece ! Hey, it may be "only" medieval, but is a very unique find. I have no problem nominating it for the Banner.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Not to be a naysayer but it looks like no Chalcolithic or Bronze age piece I've ever seen, especially with the hexagonal faceting and groove opposite the "blade". Soil conditions certainly vary of course but the patina looks far too young, the working end obviously wasn't kept sharp and the other end shows some slight mushrooming from being struck. I'm thinking it's a Medieval or later wedge, leather or lead working tool or perhaps something used to cram oakum or similar material into cracks. Hard to say really.
Hello plumbata, you're not a naysayer, I never said I thought it was bronze age. I merely said it looked old (which it does):thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread