Last minute decision leads to 2 hr hunt full of great finds!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, as some of you may know, I had a death in the family yesterday, my uncle, 59, passed away following a brief battle with complications of an aneurysm at his brain stem, complicated from a fall. Its been a tough 2 days around here, in 36 yrs I have never seen my father cry until yesterday. my wife took my sons to a movie and I just felt like staying home. I had intentions on hunting with OldDude today before all this happened so those plans got cancelled yesterday morning when I learned of his passing. So I was sitting around the house going stir crazy and decided on a whim and last minute decision to take a very short drive to a home I tried to get permission at earlier this year, finally caught someone home. Nice older farmer who told me to go right ahead. It was full of iron but still managed some pretty darn good finds, 3 indian heads, 1 1837 Large Cent, 8 wheats, a toasted shield nickel, a 1944 farthing with 2 holes in it, 2 rings, (1 junk, 1 sterling) and a neat Fob that says "Panama Pacific Exposition San Fransisco 1915", plus my favorite find of the day a 1890 Seated Dime! only my 2nd seated ever! It was nice to just put the headphones on and kinda zone out for a while, and the great finds made it that much better. Thanks for looking and hh.
20150731_121358.jpg 20150731_124123.jpg 20150731_123556.jpg 20150731_124212.jpg 20150731_124234-1.jpg

I hope we get back out next week, OldDude and I have "scouted" out a nearby town that looks pretty nice, hopefully we hit it big there! 20150731_132025.jpg almost forgot this nice little crotal/petal bell

Last edited:
Upvote 23
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HE CANT DRIVE 55 BUT SURE CAN FIND SOME NICE DIGS CROTAL AND THE ITY BITY TIN SNIPS IS PRETTY COOL AS WITH THE RINGS AND THE WATCH FOB.
lol thanks sutphin

Great hunt Cris.
Im sorry to hear about ur uncle.
Large cent, seated, Ihs., and a really cool watch fob..Thats awsome. I wouldn't of wanted Dave to come either! Lol...
thanks George, of all the stuff, I think I like that fob the best, and I didn't intend on going at all lol, its not like I said "ehh screw dave lol"

Sorry for your loss

Sorry for your loss :(
thanks a lot guys, really appreciated.

Our prayers for you and your family.
A little alone time and treasure comforts, good call. Nice seated! Those tiny shears are probably a game piece.
I'm a little jealous your LC has a readable date.

Hope you guys and OD have an awesome hunt and make some Banner finds!
Thank you MS, very kind of you. Weird how just putting on the headphones and sweeping helped me keep my mind off things for a little while.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Commemorating the loss of a beloved relative with family is a fairly predictable time.......
It's those private moments in how we chose to celebrate that life and the impact they had on us.............your choice was rewarding in more ways than one.........

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about your family's loss. I'm pleased to see you did some metal therapy. Nice finds. I did some myself today on a site that I thought was DOA. Got a double copper.

I hope you and the fam find comfort.

Steve

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really sorry to hear about your uncle, it's always hard losing loved family members.

You sure made some great finds on this hunt...large cent, IH cents, a shield nick, and seated silver?! That's amazing!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Commemorating the loss of a beloved relative with family is a fairly predictable time.......
It's those private moments in how we chose to celebrate that life and the impact they had on us.............your choice was rewarding in more ways than one.........
thanks Chizzy, detecting always helps me clear my mind when things are going crazy, this was no exception.

Sorry to hear about your family's loss. I'm pleased to see you did some metal therapy. Nice finds. I did some myself today on a site that I thought was DOA. Got a double copper.

I hope you and the fam find comfort.

Steve
Thank you steve, really appreciate it. the large cent I found was only about 3 inches down, insanely loud signal, solid 12-47, I was hoping barber quarter, I guess this is just as good lol

Really sorry to hear about your uncle, it's always hard losing loved family members.

You sure made some great finds on this hunt...large cent, IH cents, a shield nick, and seated silver?! That's amazing!
Thanks JC, nice to hear so many kind words from others, and yeah I was surprised at the goods this site held, I immediately thought id hit Indians because of the age of the site, but I found that 1837 LC and was surprised to find a coin 20 years older than the home itself, cool!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about your uncle, 59 is young.

Very good hunt, some real nice treasures..like FOB..:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Condolences to you and your family Chris, the time spent clearing the mind up a bit was well rewarded. Liking the fob it's a real beauty as the dime.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear of your family's loss, but it's good to see your hobby was able to brighten your day a bit. Your Etrac sure is sniffing out some great finds this year!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My condolences on your loss of your uncle. You needed time to get away and ya made so interesting finds. I especially like the tiny tin snips.:thumbsup:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for ur loss...and beautiful seated man... So fresh and clean...great finds

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry to hear about your uncle, 59 is young.

Very good hunt, some real nice treasures..like FOB..:thumbsup:
thank you, that fob ended up being my favorite

great finds. Sorry to hear about your loss.

George
thanks alot george

Condolences to you and your family Chris, the time spent clearing the mind up a bit was well rewarded. Liking the fob it's a real beauty as the dime.
thank you, I appreciate all the kind words from all of you

Sorry to hear of your family's loss, but it's good to see your hobby was able to brighten your day a bit. Your Etrac sure is sniffing out some great finds this year!
thank you keith, means alot. I'm really happy with that etrac, best move I've made yet

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for ur loss...and beautiful seated man... So fresh and clean...great finds
thank you, that's only my 2nd seated ever, scratched it a bit

My condolences on your loss of your uncle. You needed time to get away and ya made so interesting finds. I especially like the tiny tin snips.:thumbsup:
thanks alot, those snips were tiny and gave off a slamming signal, made of aluminum

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So sorry for your loss !! Putting the headphones on and doing a little detecting is a good way to have some alone time. Congrats on your nice hunt !!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry for your loss !! Putting the headphones on and doing a little detecting is a good way to have some alone time. Congrats on your nice hunt !!
thanks alot, I always like going when things get stressful, this was a nice way to take my mind off things for a while

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I know what you mean about the escape. Sometimes, I go simply to take my mind off things that I just can't get out of my head. Like, being alone and lonely, getting old, seeing the finish line closer than the start, etc. It's kind of funny, I'm lonely so what do I do? I go out and walk around a very large field, alone. LOL

I work pretty hard at NOT going nowadays. Not, until I get that urge to go find something. If I just go like "another day at the office", I always come home feeling cheated.

Still, it is a VERY good way to forget day to day things.

Keep at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread