Last minute decision leads to 2 hr hunt full of great finds!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, as some of you may know, I had a death in the family yesterday, my uncle, 59, passed away following a brief battle with complications of an aneurysm at his brain stem, complicated from a fall. Its been a tough 2 days around here, in 36 yrs I have never seen my father cry until yesterday. my wife took my sons to a movie and I just felt like staying home. I had intentions on hunting with OldDude today before all this happened so those plans got cancelled yesterday morning when I learned of his passing. So I was sitting around the house going stir crazy and decided on a whim and last minute decision to take a very short drive to a home I tried to get permission at earlier this year, finally caught someone home. Nice older farmer who told me to go right ahead. It was full of iron but still managed some pretty darn good finds, 3 indian heads, 1 1837 Large Cent, 8 wheats, a toasted shield nickel, a 1944 farthing with 2 holes in it, 2 rings, (1 junk, 1 sterling) and a neat Fob that says "Panama Pacific Exposition San Fransisco 1915", plus my favorite find of the day a 1890 Seated Dime! only my 2nd seated ever! It was nice to just put the headphones on and kinda zone out for a while, and the great finds made it that much better. Thanks for looking and hh.
20150731_121358.jpg 20150731_124123.jpg 20150731_123556.jpg 20150731_124212.jpg 20150731_124234-1.jpg

I hope we get back out next week, OldDude and I have "scouted" out a nearby town that looks pretty nice, hopefully we hit it big there! 20150731_132025.jpg almost forgot this nice little crotal/petal bell

Last edited:
Upvote 23

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and very sorry for your loss

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss bud, and you did make some sweet finds like that seated very nice condition....:occasion14:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Sorry about your in uncle.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris we did all we could to keep OD entertained. Well next week will be his Banner day then

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one great outing worth of finds. I really like the fob, crotal bell, Large Cent, & Seated.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
My condolences on your loss Chris.

Very nice selection of finds my man. Seated, IHCs, shield, LC, fob, ring.... dang man...

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds...Congrats and Condolences both. One of the great thing about metal detecting (for me anyway), is that it does help me take my mind off of the "heavy" stuff.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for your loss. Looks like the distraction gods were in your corner to finally find someone home, get permission and dig a lot of great stuff!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about your uncle, but I'm glad you were able to get out and help clear your mind a bit after what you've been having to deal with. And it looks like your hunt probably brought a smile or two to help brighten your day. Very nice digs, and hang in there man.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sorry again about your uncle Chris. I am sure seeing your dad like that was very tough.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds...Congrats and Condolences both. One of the great thing about metal detecting (for me anyway), is that it does help me take my mind off of the "heavy" stuff.
Thank you very much, yeah i was sitting around thinking and figured ehh what the heck, lets try a little detecting

Sorry for your loss. Looks like the distraction gods were in your corner to finally find someone home, get permission and dig a lot of great stuff!
Thank you, and ya know what, it was the first and only door i knocked on, that NEVER happens lol

Sorry to hear about your uncle, but I'm glad you were able to get out and help clear your mind a bit after what you've been having to deal with. And it looks like your hunt probably brought a smile or two to help brighten your day. Very nice digs, and hang in there man.
Thank you bill, it was nice, just kinda made me forget about things for a bit, and yeah great digs helped a bit.

I am sorry again about your uncle Chris. I am sure seeing your dad like that was very tough.
Thanks dave, it was pretty tough. They were like best buds

Nice finds and very sorry for your loss
Thank you very much

Sorry for your loss bud, and you did make some sweet finds like that seated very nice condition....:occasion14:
Thank you, i appreciate it, that seated is only my 2nd ever

Nice finds. Sorry about your in uncle.
Thanks RJ, that means alot

That is one great outing worth of finds. I really like the fob, crotal bell, Large Cent, & Seated.
Thanks a lot, they were tough digging though, rock hard clay

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My condolences on your loss Chris.

Very nice selection of finds my man. Seated, IHCs, shield, LC, fob, ring.... dang man...
Thanks Tom, it helped me keep my mind off things for a bit, and go figure, i just said to dave the other day i wanted another seated and bang, there it is......

Nice haul brother...other msg in text
Thanks tyler

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to read of your uncle passing.
Lots of goodies recovered.
Miniature tin snips are interesting, as are other finds..
No favorite to pick for me; but one could remind you of the time of year and it's goins ons, down the road maybe.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our prayers for you and your family.
A little alone time and treasure comforts, good call. Nice seated! Those tiny shears are probably a game piece.
I'm a little jealous your LC has a readable date.

Hope you guys and OD have an awesome hunt and make some Banner finds!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Cris.
Im sorry to hear about ur uncle.
Large cent, seated, Ihs., and a really cool watch fob..Thats awsome. I wouldn't of wanted Dave to come either! Lol...

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HE CANT DRIVE 55 BUT SURE CAN FIND SOME NICE DIGS CROTAL AND THE ITY BITY TIN SNIPS IS PRETTY COOL AS WITH THE RINGS AND THE WATCH FOB.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions