Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Haven't been on in a while, nor really hunted. The ground has been dry and hard as brick and I've been busy. I got out today for a quick hunt at an old site and had some good luck. First up was a King George the 2nd. Looks like a 1738. It came in at a 12-35 on the CTX which was really low compared to my other three dozen+ KG's. Even the counterfeits. My guess is it's a toasty counterfeit but that just goes to show- dig everything.

Next was a Jersey copper. Looks like a 1786. Rang in at a 12-41 on the CTX and is my first state copper! Finally!!! I have dug 1771-1777 KG3's and then a gap all the way to an 1790 1 Duit and a 1794 One cent. Never a state copper so it feels really damn good. I packed it in after the NJ copper and now it's time for a cold pint.

Happy hunting everyone Steve

Attachments

• image-1363530897.jpg
    image-1363530897.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 188
  • image-3292750162.jpg
    image-3292750162.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 182
  • image-794019291.jpg
    image-794019291.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 170
  • image-1792918951.jpg
    image-1792918951.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 164
  • image-2746753283.jpg
    image-2746753283.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Upvote 20
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the coppers Scrappy if it puts a smile on the day it's always a winner.

Thx Pepp. Yeah, I smiled and then growled loudly "jersey copper baby!" Then I started fist pumping and dancing Jersey Shore style.

The second part I made up, I did growl loudly however.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Awesome!! Old copper and a state copper, Sweet day!!

I need to find some old coppers, it's been too long since I've found any. So is 12-41 the magic number for old coppers with the CTX?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's Awesome!! Old copper and a state copper, Sweet day!!

I need to find some old coppers, it's been too long since I've found any. So is 12-41 the magic number for old coppers with the CTX?

I've had a lot of British coppers all show up at 12-41, plus of minus a couple digits. The 12-35 for this half farthing was the lowest by about 4. US coppers usually show up around 12-45/46/47 for the large cents, but one of my half cents appeared at 12-40/41 if I remember correctly. I use those Fe/co numbers for blank/dirty coppers I can't identify to get an idea of what they are, so they're pretty accurate.

The most important part is the swing with the CTX. If I were to time it, probably two seconds a swing in trashy areas. Maybe slower in super-iron bound areas.

Do you have the Gone Hunting Program? It makes a big difference.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that state copper bud. I love those. Hope to get a complete set one day but that's likely a fantasy

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coins!! State coppers still elude me, on the bucket. Glad you got one Scrappy congratulations. Finding KG's also never gets old. [emoji41][emoji482]

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a lot of British coppers all show up at 12-41, plus of minus a couple digits. The 12-35 for this half farthing was the lowest by about 4. US coppers usually show up around 12-45/46/47 for the large cents, but one of my half cents appeared at 12-40/41 if I remember correctly. I use those Fe/co numbers for blank/dirty coppers I can't identify to get an idea of what they are, so they're pretty accurate.

The most important part is the swing with the CTX. If I were to time it, probably two seconds a swing in trashy areas. Maybe slower in super-iron bound areas.

Do you have the Gone Hunting Program? It makes a big difference.

Trying to figure out what different signals to look for might take awhile. We've been doing a lot of digging just to see what comes up as what. Thinking about taking a note pad and making notes. Lol
Yeah, got the the Gone Hunting Program. The kid keeps trying different settings and I keep telling him to use that program. For some reason I keep finding the silver and him not??

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on that state copper bud. I love those. Hope to get a complete set one day but that's likely a fantasy

Hey Abe, glad you got to see it. I sent you and George a text before I posted it and didn't hear back from my buddies. Lol.

I have no doubt you'll complete a state set judging from your site selections. Now stop working so much and get your butt out there!!!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Trying to figure out what different signals to look for might take awhile. We've been doing a lot of digging just to see what comes up as what. Thinking about taking a note pad and making notes. Lol
Yeah, got the the Gone Hunting Program. The kid keeps trying different settings and I keep telling him to use that program. For some reason I keep finding the silver and him not??

You finding more silver than the boy is a new thing. Seems he's always finding the silv when I read your posts! Lol. Age, patience, and wisdom prevail with new machines. It sure took me a while. I dug every signal on open screen for a month just to learn all I could. You'll master is soon since this ain't your first rodeo and you'll no doubt be devastating to the coin population in your area.

Steve

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Steve! A state copper of any kind is still high on my bucket list. 4 in one day is astounding!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I missed this one Scrap. Congrats on your state copper, and I know you're excited about that. Other than Virginia halfpennies, state coppers are very difficult to find down here. I dug a really toasted NJ at a colonial shipyard site almost 20 years ago. And my buddy Dan recovered a great looking CT in our money pit a couple years ago, and that's been it to my knowledge. Anyway, glad to see you getting out and doing some digging. I'm still fighting the jellyfish, large swells, and a boatload of competition during my water hunting excursions at the local beaches, and fall can't come soon enough for me.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first State Copper Steve! Living in NJ and hunting as much as you do I expect you will find many more. Heck I've found five of them way out here in Western Pennsylvania.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I missed this one Scrap. Congrats on your state copper, and I know you're excited about that. Other than Virginia halfpennies, state coppers are very difficult to find down here. I dug a really toasted NJ at a colonial shipyard site almost 20 years ago. And my buddy Dan recovered a great looking CT in our money pit a couple years ago, and that's been it to my knowledge. Anyway, glad to see you getting out and doing some digging. I'm still fighting the jellyfish, large swells, and a boatload of competition during my water hunting excursions at the local beaches, and fall can't come soon enough for me.

Hey thanks Bill. I had done 3 hunts here prior with no finds whatsoever. I was ready to throw in the towel and told the site's organization I was just about finished. Then out pops these odd ducks. Anyway, I've heard the farther south you go the more coppers thin out. But then again, you get more silver. I think I read that in an article once...hmmm...oh yeah, yours!

When you come up here to visit us we'll get you some more state coppers. Until then happy hunting

Steve

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the copper's

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first State Copper Steve! Living in NJ and hunting as much as you do I expect you will find many more. Heck I've found five of them way out here in Western Pennsylvania.

Thanks Steve. Your vote of confidence for my future success means a lot coming from you. Now onto that NY state copper;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread