Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a
Makro Racer
Minelab E-Trac
Fisher F-75
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend called me late today and asked if I could come to a lot where a teardown had occurred. It was known that a previous owner had buried money on the site, and dirt was already being hauled in for a new construction project at the site. A dozer had already begun working the site, so most of the coins were found near the surface, or on the surface. He told me that earlier today he had already found ~50-60 Eisenhower dollar coins along with some Kennedy half-dollars at the site. I got there and began detecting with him, and when we did our first count there were 213 total coins (30-40 coins had already been removed before the first picture). Most of these were Eisenhower dollars, along with ~30 Kennedy halves (some 1964 dates, but most late sixties dates.) The first picture represents our first coin count. Some of the coins are still in wrappers. DSC_6307_23315.JPG

As it was nearing dark, we decided to detect a little longer. I found 10 more Eisenhower dollars, but my friend discovered a buried cache of at least 75 more Eisenhower dollars along with several more Kennedy half-dollars just as darkness was falling. Again, some of these were still in partial wrappers as you can see in the second picture. We didn't have time to count all of this last cache, but I estimate that we found ~300+ coins altogether, most of which were Eisenhower dollars. We're pretty sure that a number of additional coins were buried by the several loads of dirt delivered today. It was quite hot outside today, but we had a great time finding the coins, and will probably never find such a haul again. Hope you enjoy! DSC_6311_23319.JPG

Upvote 40

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Thats amazing! Now I really feel bad I did not see a teardown project until it was to late. Bunch of fill dirt brought in covering the old grounds. Who knows what I could of found. Congrats on your awesome finds!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find! Not sure why anyone would bury these coins in the 70s. What's the back story with the guy who buried the coins....nut job?? :dontknow:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no need for the dirt fisher use a shifter box and shovel .. HOLY FREAKING HAUL GUYS

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing site. You would have had to drag me away from there, night or not. Congrats on all your finds.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a dream find of a life time! A dollar coin CACHE! I'd say Banner!
Congrats!!!

OP
OP
B

Brierfield

Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a
Makro Racer
Minelab E-Trac
Fisher F-75
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all of the kind words!

Update:

We returned to the site this morning just after daybreak and were able to recover 6 more Eisenhowers. We even used a special rig to search for any more deeper caches, but found none. We believe the coins that were still recoverable after the dirt work have mostly been found. This has been a lot of fun and a real blessing. The monetary value of the finds is not huge in this case; it's the hunt that my friend and I truly enjoy, whether we find a little or a lot. Thanks for reading all about our real-life treasure story, and HH to each of you!

Last edited:

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations, what an awesome find. Just goes to show, you never know what excitement you're going to run into on any given day out detecting.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating hunt/finds! With all those Ikes that were likely unscrutinized and buried soon after minting there may well be some rare varieties mixed in (don't recall the types specifically but there are some good ones).

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !! , That is just incredible , what a fabulous opportunity , I'm salivating , congrats .. cheers Mick

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like most others have said, I would run home, grabbed a flashlight, made a couple of PB&J's, grabbed some bottled water and been there all night. Awesome score, you know you really owe your buddy now right?

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's crazy!!

Kennedy halves 65-70 are 40% silver.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of excitement there! Hard to imagine digging up that many coins!
Wow! Big congrats!!
Need to get a group pic of them all if you can that would be nice.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unbelievable !!!!! :unhappysmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread