πŸ₯‡ BANNER Leather and Lead

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• IMG_5762.JPG
    IMG_5762.JPG
    757.3 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_5767.JPG
    IMG_5767.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 461
Upvote 66

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was away from the forum for two days. TWO days! And THIS pops up! You are way to humble about this. What an incredible, incredible, incredible find. I cannot BELIEVE what I'm seeing. Wow. I am more blown away by this than anything I've seen come out of the ground in a LONG time. My hat is off to you. Good luck with preservation. My friends have found some good leather in swamps, but nothing this pristine. I hope you can keep it from shrinking. All the leather we've found has shrunk to about half size no matter what we tried. best of luck. I cannot imagine ever topping this. (Did I mention I'm amazed?!)

Yes I agree.
Probably not necessary to say it, But I'd get plenty of Pictures.
They may last longer then the pouch , now that the Leather has seen air again.

Of course you could try a food Vacuum Sealer &
Tupperware for Storage.​

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow...amazing find. Leather items intact are ultra rare, because the conditions have to be just perfect. I've saw Civil War shoes, cap boxes, and parts of ammunition pouches preserved, but not a complete one. That's a collection centerpiece for sure, will really look great with the bullets displayed together!

Definitely going to use some of these preservation techniques provided in the link NOLA Ken provided. It seems to be maintaining it's present condition while in distilled water until i can get some of the chemicals required in. Once it is preserved would it hurt to sew it together with cotton thread using the same original holes?? As long as i don't put new holes in I would think it would be OK? Thoughts??

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely going to use some of these preservation techniques provided in the link NOLA Ken provided. It seems to be maintaining it's present condition while in distilled water until i can get some of the chemicals required in. Once it is preserved would it hurt to sew it together with cotton thread using the same original holes?? As long as i don't put new holes in I would think it would be OK? Thoughts??

Before you do anything with your find, why not contact this guy?

Hallowed Ground Restorations
Roland Frodigh
3908 King Arthur Rd
Annandale VA 22003

Phone: 703-280-1571
Email:[email protected]
Blog:http://hallowedgroundrestorations.blogspot.ca/

Here's a link to a restoration he did for me back in December.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/restoration-projects/447676-british-knapsack-badge-restored.html

Dave

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
super nice find - Banner for sure!!
Good video - thanks!
Saving the leather will be the trick!
Best of luck in the future!
Welcome to TNet!!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on an AMAZING FIND! If it could only talk!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I think that's an EXCELLENT idea. Only thing that would concern me - I would watch it closely to make sure that if/when it shrinks, the stitching does not cause the leather to warp or tear. If you do it, boil the stitching in strong tea first, to age it!

coastal_digger

Greenie
Aug 29, 2015
Detector(s) used
Fisher new Gold Bug, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher CZ-5, Tesoro Cortes. Garrett Propointer and Tinytec pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful find :thumbsup: Please keep us posted on the restoration :happysmiley:

petroguy3666

Aug 11, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN, THATS AWESOME!!!!!! JUST A SUPER COOL FIND, WAY TO GO...BE HARD TO TOP THAT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread