🥇 BANNER Leather and Lead

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this a few days ago. Confederate ammo pouch with 23 Gardner bullets. The leather is in unbelievable shape!! It was buried in clay underwater. Here is a video taking it out of my pouch and inspecting for the first time.

Attachments

• IMG_5762.JPG
    IMG_5762.JPG
    757.3 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_5767.JPG
    IMG_5767.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 462
Upvote 66

CplSkiUSMC

Jul 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is SWEET! I think I'd get that leather oiled down asap. What an amazing find. I keep looking for cool stuff like that along the Bridger Trail here in Wyoming. The soil is very hard and dry and a lot of things are pretty well preserved, but I haven't found anything like that... I'm jealous.

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks,
I agree. i was putting saddle soap on it constantly but have since put it back in the water until i find out the best way to preserve.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a truly rich piece of history, congratulations man! Just imagine the stories it could tell!!! That would look good on the banner :headbang:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG FOR A NEW MEMBER YOU DONT MESS AROUND . BOY WHAT A HELLUVA FIND . THAT IS A REALLY NEAT PEICE OF HISTORY AND CONGRATS.........

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is one extraordinary top-tier discovery, the planets (and silty currents) must have been aligned quite perfectly the day that pouch was lost for it to have survived in such unbelievable condition.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN I HAD TO TAKE ANOTHER LOOK . HOW IN THE HECK THAT PEICE OF HISTORY LASTED 150 YEARS IS BEYOND ME. THIS IS AWESOME , AND TO BE SO MUCH INTACT LOSS FOR WORDS. I GUESS THAT CLAY WAS PROBALLY COVERING THAT POUCH DEEPER IN THE BANK AFTER ALL THESE YEARS AND UNDER WATER PROTECTED IT FROM THE ELEMENTS. MASTER YOU ARE THE MASTER AND YOU HAVE LIKE I SAID ONE HELLUVA FIND. I CAN ONLY IMAGINE WHAT THIS WILL LOOK LIKE PRESERVED AND THE STORY TO GO WITH IT . HELL IM MORE EXCITED THAN YOU ARE BY JUST LOOKING AT IT. WONDER WHO WAS THE LAST TO HAVE THAT POUCH ON. ALL IN FAVOR SAY BBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNEERRRRRRRRRRRRR. CONGRATS AGAIN.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the greatest thing I have seen here in a long time. Can't wait to see it up on the banner.
You may have just found the last Confederate ammo pouch in existence that is in this good of a condition after over 150+ years outside!
So amazing! Big congrats! This piece will make museums green with envy! :notworthy:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible!!!!! You have saved an awesome piece of history. I wouldn't sleep for a week after that. Congratulations on a job well done. Banner for sure

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please be careful with it and keep it wet without all that junk and don't handle till you get some expert advice on conservation and restoration. Ultra-rare find, but the way you're handling it reminds me of when they first discovered the Ice Man and didn't really know what they had--crucial parts can be destroyed by handling. Extraordinary find and if you qualify based on your number of posts I also vote Banner of course! :thumbsup:

BTW, probably safest to keep in some creek water and not tap water which may damage it. Also try and maintain a cool temperature to the water.

Last edited:

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow! what an incredible find! congratulations! thanks for sharing!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a great find. I have no idea how you can preserve that leather . I imagine it will be a slow process. This is just something you hardly expect to come out of a creek. Very cool.

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. I am still in awe myself with the leather condition. It is back in water and thinking about changing it to distilled water??

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would imagine that distilled water would be much better than tap water. Also thinking about the creek water suggestion I had, sitting still it might get stagnant quite fast. You may need to keep changing the distilled water as it gets dirty with the impurities. Hopefully someone with expertise in this area will chime in.

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing! I can't believe no one has thought this is banner worthy. I'm very jealous of it!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow...amazing find. Leather items intact are ultra rare, because the conditions have to be just perfect. I've saw Civil War shoes, cap boxes, and parts of ammunition pouches preserved, but not a complete one. That's a collection centerpiece for sure, will really look great with the bullets displayed together!

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good input! thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread