Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After work day at the hunt club, jdsly and I decided to brave the heat and go detect for awhile. After passing on our first site because it's wide open with no shade, we headed back to one of our sites we've pounded back in the woods. Hot and buggy but worth the effort. Got a decent signal that turned into a really good 81 after moving some dirt. Dug a little more in some really hard concrete like clay and out pops this beauty. Thought it was a little silver coin but after cleaning it up a bit turned out to be a 1740 reale that looks to have been turned into a button or something! Super excited to find my second reale but even like it more seeing how it was used for something other than just a coin. Thanks for looking and hope everyone has a great weekend! I know I have! 20150801_183557-1.jpg 20150801_183813-1.jpg

Upvote 21

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find !! :occasion14:

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! Congrats! Wonder if that convert to button was recent or 200 years ago. Cool!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find, I'm guessing it might of been a cuff link.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh man that's cool, super old and unique! 1740 is pretty darn old in my books!!

congrats on the 275 year old coin/button!!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find,congratulations.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's super cool!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find, I'm guessing it might of been a cuff link.

Since it doesn't have two holes punched through it (I have a dandy button they did that to), I would have to agree that this was from a cufflink, soldered on, and fell off. Might be a 20th C loss as I believe making cufflinks out of old coins is relatively recent. I have several pairs myself including one pair with Spanish 1/2 reals recovered from a famous shipwreck.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN DARBY THATS A NICE COIN AND REMBER TO STAY HYDRATED MY FREIND.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darby that's such a cool and unique find. Cufflink most definitely. Here's one I found. Congrats bud
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone for the comments! Yep cjon that's pretty old to me too. Actually it's my oldest coin so far! Appreciate the link 462. Good info. And that's a super nice one you found Ahab. Congrats to you also!

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN DARBY THATS A NICE COIN AND REMBER TO STAY HYDRATED MY FREIND.

Thanks sutphin! Jdsly always brings us a cooler with drinks. He's like a Boy Scout, always prepared!

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, cool coin/cufflink Darby! I was as excited as you were to see that come from the ground, especially in an area we've hit pretty hard. Maybe still more to find.

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup, cool coin/cufflink Darby! I was as excited as you were to see that come from the ground, especially in an area we've hit pretty hard. Maybe still more to find.

Yep I think there is more there. Just need to brave the heat and bugs again and also now the poison ivy... I'm covered with it!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely an 18th century cufflink made from a half real. They later cut the loop off and it circulated as money until it was lost. You can tell it circulated by the wear on the nubs that remained after the loop was cut off. I have found three half reals like that. One, a 1764, still has the loop, the others, a 1755 and a 1781 have the marks left where the loop was soldered on, but you can tell they were circulated after the loop was cut off. Here are pictures of the 1764 and the 1781.

That is a cool relic that could tell a story. The owner was probably down on his luck and had to spend his cufflink.

Attachments

• Coincuff-1.jpg.JPG
    Coincuff-1.jpg.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.Half real - back.jpg
    3.Half real - back.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is definitely an 18th century cufflink made from a half real. They later cut the loop off and it circulated as money until it was lost. You can tell it circulated by the wear on the nubs that remained after the loop was cut off. I have found three half reals like that. One, a 1764, still has the loop, the others, a 1755 and a 1781 have the marks left where the loop was soldered on, but you can tell they were circulated after the loop was cut off. Here are pictures of the 1764 and the 1781.

That is a cool relic that could tell a story. The owner was probably down on his luck and had to spend his cufflink.

Good info Steve. Thanks. I've only found a few coins so was super excited to find this one. Makes it even cooler, in my opinion, that out was used as a cufflink. And now to think it was put back into circulation makes it even better! Thanks again for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread