found a pewter item, help me out a lil bit :)

Lucian

Aug 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 2_1.JPG
    2_1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • 2_2.JPG
    2_2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 70
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    702.4 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 1

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WELCOME NEW MEMBER TO TNET . THAT DISH HAS EAGLE CLAW FEET AND I WOULD SAY IS OLD WONDER THOUGH WHO WAS EE ?

OP
OP
L

Lucian

Aug 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. It has a diameter of 20cm. No ideea about this EE graved on...

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
It's the same image of three angels (lady justice) holding a set of scales in one hand and probably a sword in the other. The phrase "Fein Zinn" is german for fine pewter and would have probably been made in Germany or german speaking areas of Switzerland, etc. However, the fact it has the ball and claw foot is puzzling. While the Chinese dragon foot clutching a pearl was picked up by Europeans through trade and became popular in England specifically in the early to late 1700s and beyond, typically the ball/claw foot design was symbolic of English authority. I'm not suggesting that this item was not made in Germany but I'm thinking it possibly may have been made in England as well with these marks as there was a belief during the mid to late 18th century that English pewter was somehow superior and that even other regions making it would incorporate English type designs (claw ball feet for example or even using the words Englisch Fein Zinn) as a marketing ploy to get folks to buy what they thought was a superior quality piece when in reality, I'll bet the German or Swiss made pewter was just as good. So basically, it was either made most like in German speaking country or area or was made in England probably late 1700s to early 1800s (assuming, of course its not a modern repro of the older touchmarks which I can't be sure of).

Neat piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread