Sestersius (roman coin) from -30BC + 2 bonus coins! Video of the hunt

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys,

Quit my pond today (the med sea) and went with my buddy to have a land detection on very old sites... Had 2H hours of hunt with CTX 3030 and Excalibur II and we were lucky:

Sestertius or Sesterce (Roman Coin) in EXCELLENT SHAPE "AS de Nimes" from -8 to -3BC => 2020 years old...

Watch the video of the hunt in 4k!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhRhenCfoM4&feature=youtu.be

Phase 1: Dig & first clean
as-de-nimes1.JPG asdenimes5.jpg as-de-nimes-f.jpg as-de-nimes-r.jpg
I have just found them 3 hours ago, it will take me a few days to clean them, especially the roman coin, 2000 years of corrosion takes some time to be cleaned.

Phase 2 = after a deeper cleaning + careful sanding

as-de-nimes-f-phase2.jpg as-de-nimes-r-phase2.jpg

x1 1865 Vittorio Emanuelle II "5 centesimi" => very rare version (italian)
x1 1902 French republic Dupuis 5Cts

dupuis-1902.JPG
5centesimi-1862.jpg IMG_1010.JPG
phase2-Face-3coins.jpg phase2-R-3coins.jpg

I will post the video of this detection shortly + the coins when they will be cleaned!

Last edited:
Upvote 22

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible is all I can say!!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I know it hard to imagine, but the sesterce is in a mint condition, it will take some time to clean it it but all the details and relief can be seen, I can't believe it.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I ask is to have the opputunity to hold one in my hand, nevermind finding one. Great find

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All I ask is to have the opputunity to hold one in my hand, nevermind finding one. Great find
I can imagine What you are thinking about: it is full of history and when you hold it in your hand the first time after digg it, you look around and think that more then 2000 years ago a human have lost it just where you are.
I wish Internet can share that kind of feelings in the futur!
Thanks to you MickJackie:notworthy:

Last edited:

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Wow ,what a great save.You guys there are so fortunate.Mike,every Jan.in NYC is the NY International the largest ancient-middle ages,foreign coin show in the world.You can hold many great coins in your hands and even haggle over prices.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow ,what a great save.You guys there are so fortunate.Mike,every Jan.in NYC is the NY International the largest ancient-middle ages,foreign coin show in the world.You can hold many great coins in your hands and even haggle over prices.

:thumbsup: thanks for the info! This is an antic coin, middle age is from 300 to 1500 after christ

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it hard to imagine, but the sesterce is in a mint condition, it will take some time to clean it it but all the details and relief can be seen, I can't believe it.

Very nice Roman Coin, it is rare to find those big ones in nice order, but you worry me when you talk about cleaning. Unless its using a product like 'Pre-Lim' to clean & Renaissance wax to stop it drying up.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AUGUSTUS, 27 B.C.- A.D. 14. AE Dupondius (12.37 gms), Nemausus Mint, A.D. 10-14.
RIC-159; RPC-525. Struck to commemorate the defeat of Mark Antony at the Battle of Actium. Laureate heads of Augustus and Agrippa; Reverse: Crocodile right chained to palm branch. Fine style portraits.

$1000.00+ all day long. Nice!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
AUGUSTUS, 27 B.C.- A.D. 14. AE Dupondius (12.37 gms), Nemausus Mint, A.D. 10-14.
RIC-159; RPC-525. Struck to commemorate the defeat of Mark Antony at the Battle of Actium. Laureate heads of Augustus and Agrippa; Reverse: Crocodile right chained to palm branch. Fine style portraits.

$1000.00+ all day long. Nice!

"When we appreciate the thinnest finds, we don't count any more"

:notworthy: thanks for the proper ID

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I DONT KNOW WHAT AND THE HECK YOU HAVE FOUND BUT TO PULL SOMETHING THAT IS OVER 2000 YEARS OUT OF THE GROUND IS REMARKABLE . THIS IS JUST UNREAL TO EVEN THINK THAT COINS AT THIS AGE CAN BE FOUND AND WE CAN INDENTIFY THE ORIGIN THAT THEY ARE ASSOCIATED WITH. CONGRATS.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner finds!! WoW!!!

Banner vote
Sesterce (Roman Coin) "AS de Nimes" from -8 to -3BC => 2020 years old...

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I DONT KNOW WHAT AND THE HECK YOU HAVE FOUND BUT TO PULL SOMETHING THAT IS OVER 2000 YEARS OUT OF THE GROUND IS REMARKABLE . THIS IS JUST UNREAL TO EVEN THINK THAT COINS AT THIS AGE CAN BE FOUND AND WE CAN INDENTIFY THE ORIGIN THAT THEY ARE ASSOCIATED WITH. CONGRATS.

:notworthy: thanks a lot!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice.

Try putting them in the sunniest window,( touching the glass), in your house for a day.
Learned this on here and have seen it work.

Voting Banner.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice.

Try putting them in the sunniest window,( touching the glass), in your house for a day.
Learned this on here and have seen it work.

Voting Banner.

I will try today. You need to press the little red box (top left) "nominate banner" and submit it to vote. Thanks a lot for supporting this thread.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice sesturtius, but the way you guys are rubbing those coins and digging them out with those picks -- yikes! SMFH :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread