New machines maiden voyage! Seated Liberty and a Spur!!!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New machine's maiden voyage! Seated Liberty and a Spur!!!

Hey everyone!

I haven't posted in a while because my Garrett At Pro broke... last week I found myself a killer deal on a Whites MXT All Pro and it arrived Thursday. I got permission to a new site that dates back to the late 1700s last week, and decided I'd give the new machine it's trial run here. Boy... what a trial run it was!!! I started off in the side yard of the house and found my first target ever with it, a NYC transit token from the 50s, and in the same hole with it was a wheat penny. Starting the day with a keeper spill is always nice! :thumbsup:

IMG_2796.jpg

I continued in the side yard area near the house for a little longer and pulled a lot of trash and another wheat penny. I moved on a little farther away and got my first "faint" signal on the Whites MXT All Pro and it was repeatable so I went ahead and dug it. I dug in rocks and clay, and down about 7", I finally scoop it out and it was a nice Springfield musket sling hook! The owner of the house told me there was a Union encampment nearby as well, so it makes sense why this was here, the owner also said he found a Minnie under his house.

IMG_2783.jpg

I continued along in the front and was struggling to find any signals so I moved on to the front of the house to the left where the old pasture was, and immediately I hit a nice cuff button with a beautiful leaf design, I'm thinking jacksonian as it has the "American" style of the word "color" which I don't usually see on the backmark. I usually see the word "colour" on the backmark with the "U" in colour. Maybe I'm over complicating it, either way I like it!

IMG_2784.jpg

I walk around the pasture haphazardly and stumble across two more buttons, a bent up one and a very nice gold guilted button that has the backmark "J. Manns", he was in business from around 1800-1843 from what I've read. It's so thick, it was a similar signal to a penny.

IMG_2785.jpg

After a while I start getting super thirsty and was about to take a water break, and got a slammin' quarter hit on the surface... that's what it was... but a few feet away walking back to the tree where I left the water bottle on I get another quarter signal, but this was deeper. It ended up being a large cent! Yes!!!!! Copper #10 this year, I was so excited!!!

IMG_2802.png

I took my water break and really wasn't getting many signals afterwards. I was about to leave to go out for dinner when I get this weird signal, a signal I've never seen before, It was a large target, bouncing in the 30s on the MXT All Pro... I dig, and to my surprise I see a huge brass piece come out. It only took me a couple seconds to realize what I had... a civil war era spur!!! It's pretty much complete (missing the iron rowel, rusted away after being in the ground so long) and I was stoked at that point! I couldn't believe how well I did on my first time using the new machine! I didn't even hardly know what I was doing, I didn't even know how to ground balance the dang thing! I'm back in business baby. :laughing7:

IMG_2789.jpg
IMG_2793.jpg

The next day I had to go back... so I did... 8-) and I got my At Pro back from Garrett and now it works like a charm! I used the MXT All Pro again though, but I compared signals using both machines. I walk around in the pasture for a little bit and I get another "slammin' hit" with the MXT All Pro... 74-78 faint signal... I use the At Pro on the signal and it's a really nice but faint 79-81... perfect coin signal. I dig and I immediately see a silver dime from the top of the plug, it was about 4-5" deep and it was a great signal on both machines. I blow the dirt off the little silver disk and for a second I thought it was a Seated Dime... nope! An unexpected, but not a disappointment, a Canadian silver dime from 1899 showed itself!

IMG_2834.jpg

After that I got a small brass spoon fragment and the coil went dead for the next hour... that's when I knew the little pasture I determined it was hunted pretty hard for now and I was willing to try a little area closer to the road. About 1 minute into hunting that specific area, under a pine tree, I get this gorgeous signal... 82-85... deeper than the occasional surface quarter I was getting and it just screamed "dig me"! I dug only about 3" down to see a tarnished disc roll out from my shovel into the hole and immediately I saw the outline of a Seated Liberty show on the disc... and it was bigger than a dime. My first Seated Quarter!!! :hello2: I was stoked!!!

IMG_2837.jpg

Little did I realize I had a coin that was not just a Seated Quarter, it was a semi-key date, 1863!!! After that I took a break and stared at the two silver coins I dug... I tried to squeak something else out before I had to leave but there was nothing else...

Thanks for looking everyone and happy hunting!!!!!!!:occasion14:

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

Screenshot_1.png

Upvote 28

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ISSAC ISSAC WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ? NEVER MIND THE FINDS HAVE SPOKEN FOR YOU MY FREIND. HECK OF A BUNCH OF RELICS . I BELEIVE CONFED SPUR CORRECT ME IF WRONG FOR I HAVE ONE LIKE IT AND YOU MUST FELL INTO A HONEY HOLE.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
an EPIC hunt, in my books! Well done!! :thumbsup:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a great group of finds, buttons, LC, Seated, Canadian, man that spur is awesome too!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread