New machines maiden voyage! Seated Liberty and a Spur!!!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New machine's maiden voyage! Seated Liberty and a Spur!!!

Hey everyone!

I haven't posted in a while because my Garrett At Pro broke... last week I found myself a killer deal on a Whites MXT All Pro and it arrived Thursday. I got permission to a new site that dates back to the late 1700s last week, and decided I'd give the new machine it's trial run here. Boy... what a trial run it was!!! I started off in the side yard of the house and found my first target ever with it, a NYC transit token from the 50s, and in the same hole with it was a wheat penny. Starting the day with a keeper spill is always nice! :thumbsup:

IMG_2796.jpg

I continued in the side yard area near the house for a little longer and pulled a lot of trash and another wheat penny. I moved on a little farther away and got my first "faint" signal on the Whites MXT All Pro and it was repeatable so I went ahead and dug it. I dug in rocks and clay, and down about 7", I finally scoop it out and it was a nice Springfield musket sling hook! The owner of the house told me there was a Union encampment nearby as well, so it makes sense why this was here, the owner also said he found a Minnie under his house.

IMG_2783.jpg

I continued along in the front and was struggling to find any signals so I moved on to the front of the house to the left where the old pasture was, and immediately I hit a nice cuff button with a beautiful leaf design, I'm thinking jacksonian as it has the "American" style of the word "color" which I don't usually see on the backmark. I usually see the word "colour" on the backmark with the "U" in colour. Maybe I'm over complicating it, either way I like it!

IMG_2784.jpg

I walk around the pasture haphazardly and stumble across two more buttons, a bent up one and a very nice gold guilted button that has the backmark "J. Manns", he was in business from around 1800-1843 from what I've read. It's so thick, it was a similar signal to a penny.

IMG_2785.jpg

After a while I start getting super thirsty and was about to take a water break, and got a slammin' quarter hit on the surface... that's what it was... but a few feet away walking back to the tree where I left the water bottle on I get another quarter signal, but this was deeper. It ended up being a large cent! Yes!!!!! Copper #10 this year, I was so excited!!!

IMG_2802.png

I took my water break and really wasn't getting many signals afterwards. I was about to leave to go out for dinner when I get this weird signal, a signal I've never seen before, It was a large target, bouncing in the 30s on the MXT All Pro... I dig, and to my surprise I see a huge brass piece come out. It only took me a couple seconds to realize what I had... a civil war era spur!!! It's pretty much complete (missing the iron rowel, rusted away after being in the ground so long) and I was stoked at that point! I couldn't believe how well I did on my first time using the new machine! I didn't even hardly know what I was doing, I didn't even know how to ground balance the dang thing! I'm back in business baby. :laughing7:

IMG_2789.jpg
IMG_2793.jpg

The next day I had to go back... so I did... 8-) and I got my At Pro back from Garrett and now it works like a charm! I used the MXT All Pro again though, but I compared signals using both machines. I walk around in the pasture for a little bit and I get another "slammin' hit" with the MXT All Pro... 74-78 faint signal... I use the At Pro on the signal and it's a really nice but faint 79-81... perfect coin signal. I dig and I immediately see a silver dime from the top of the plug, it was about 4-5" deep and it was a great signal on both machines. I blow the dirt off the little silver disk and for a second I thought it was a Seated Dime... nope! An unexpected, but not a disappointment, a Canadian silver dime from 1899 showed itself!

IMG_2834.jpg

After that I got a small brass spoon fragment and the coil went dead for the next hour... that's when I knew the little pasture I determined it was hunted pretty hard for now and I was willing to try a little area closer to the road. About 1 minute into hunting that specific area, under a pine tree, I get this gorgeous signal... 82-85... deeper than the occasional surface quarter I was getting and it just screamed "dig me"! I dug only about 3" down to see a tarnished disc roll out from my shovel into the hole and immediately I saw the outline of a Seated Liberty show on the disc... and it was bigger than a dime. My first Seated Quarter!!! :hello2: I was stoked!!!

IMG_2837.jpg

Little did I realize I had a coin that was not just a Seated Quarter, it was a semi-key date, 1863!!! After that I took a break and stared at the two silver coins I dug... I tried to squeak something else out before I had to leave but there was nothing else...

Thanks for looking everyone and happy hunting!!!!!!!:occasion14:

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

Screenshot_1.png

Upvote 28

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You sure made up for lost time my friend! Glad to see you back at it, this is just a glimpse of what more is to come this year! I particularly like the spur and you know why ;) that wuarter is great too, being a key date. Well done bud!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and wonderful store it always nice when somebody has a good backstory...thank you and there's more left go get it

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Love the play by play. Felt like I was with you. Also love the spur. My buddy found half of one once. Yours looks great. Congrats on a great weekend

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very great hunt indeed. Congratulations.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds :icon_thumleft:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's the way to break in a new machine. Can't wait to see what else you pull out . This hunt would be hard to top

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again!!

You killed it!!!!!

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
killer finds! I love that spur! congrats!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great start!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt and Thanks for the well written thread on your CW era finds !
Like the pictures as well . Good luck with the new machine .

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Woooooweee that's a nice day of detectin' and eyeballin'

Nice job!

Steve

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds ! I really love the Vicky Dime ! A great day out. I've found the MXT to be a reliable workhorse (I just have the
first generation - not the pro )

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Super Great day you had there.
&
It looks like you did not hit the Spur while Digging it. That's a Great Accomplishment in itself .

The Seated Quarter Would make my Year.
Davers

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man you are tearin' it up for such a young whippersnapper!

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks so much everyone!!!!! I'm loving the new machine and I'm so excited to get back out with it at some of my old sites and see what I've missed!!! :cool:

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great coins, the MXT is a great detector for sure.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The MXT Pro is a great machine, just too heavy for me. Great finds!!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer day with a new machine

Top Member Reactions