deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some may recall that I was stricken with a serious bacterial infection last month - Dr said I should walk as much as I could during recovery. Took my AT Pro out for a walk around the farm but it was really flakey and pretty much useless. Figured it was the coil so I bought a 5x8DD and new Ground Shark from Big Boys - thanks Bart (super fast shipping and delighted with items!). UPS delivered the box and my 14 yr old daughter opened it up. Now, the last time I took her MD'ing was when she was 6 yrs old, she got bored quickly, and never showed any particular interest in doing it further. This time, she actually took off the old ATP coil and put on the new one. Then, proceeded to go outside to swing it. I gave her basic instructions and off she went.

Prior to the new toys arriving, I got a chance to do some long overdue land grading and clearing around the house. The house was built in 1792 and what remains of the original summer kitchen (I suspect) was pretty overgrown with brush. I graded it off for future landscaping taking about 5 inches off the foundation stone. My daughter hit that spot and......after about an hour she came back with a handful of unbelievable finds.

1748 Geo II Halfpenny
1818 50c
1825 Large Cent
1832 Large Cent
5 Barber Nickels (1902, 05, 06, 08, 12)
Iron relics - chain, lock, hand-forged knife
A bear claw?? (haven't figured that one out yet)

Insane!! I've been all over the farm and my finds almost pale in comparison - I am so proud of her. Of course, she now wants a detector of her own (it has to come with a cap, find bag, and a digging tool!)

Hope you enjoy this as much as I am!

Attachments

• 08022015 finds2.jpg
    08022015 finds2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 08022015 finds.jpg
    08022015 finds.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 303
Upvote 34

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds for the little lady , get her a detector and let her loose .. cheers Mick

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great! I can't wait to hear more stories about ya'll digging up history together! Feel better soon!

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! The coins look to be in great shape... how about some better pics of that half dollar?

better photos using phone - my Canon camera does not have a macro feature and I take lousy pictures anyway.:BangHead:

Attachments

• finds3.jpg
    finds3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 85
  • finds4.jpg
    finds4.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 87

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SECRETS ITS TIME TO HIT THE STORE AND BY THE LITTLE LADY A DETECTOR OR MAYBE GIVE HER YOURS. MAN SHE FOUND SOME NICE COINS AND THE CLAW LOOKS LIKE A WILD BOAR TUSK BUT MY EYES AE NOT THAT GREAT AND LORD ONLY KNOWS WHAT SHE WILL FIND NEXT TIME.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Well, it would have too be a really big groundhog - it's a little over 5cm in length. I think it might be from a feral pig - it looks like a warthog tusk.
I didn't actually notice the size until I looked at the pic again. Most of the groundhog teeth I've found are probaby 1 1/2". Yours appears larger. And 5 cm means nothing to me. Lol. I work all day in 16ths of an inch.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She'll be hooked in no time. Better budget for another detector. Wish I could find that many old keepers in one hunt.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's AWESOME all the way!! Congrats to the lady!!

I think you gained a metal detecting partner but, you definitely won't be seeing that detector anymore. Lol

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story and wonderful results

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - what a way for your daughter to start out! I'm sure you won't have any problem getting her to stay interested this time. Fantastic assortment of coins for sure. I've been seriously hunting colonial sites for almost 20 years, and have never found a bust half. Unbelievable!!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That KGII is in ridiculously good condition. Could you post individual close-ups of some of the coins (obverse and reverse)? Congrats to your daughter

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!
About an Hour and Coins that cover over 160 years of history. Lovin that Half.

Thought you were mistaken calling them "5 cent Barbers " but Charles Barber designed the so called V Nickle
so you are correct calling them Barber Nickles as the Barber Dimes ,Quarters Halves have lady liberty on their faces just like their Nickel cousins . I learn something new everyday. Hope your feeling better , & tell the Girl ..WTG.
Davers

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Sounds like grading-off another 5 inches of soil is in order! Congrats to you and your daughter, finds like these represent some mighty strong kindling for nurturing the spark of interest in this great hobby. Hope y'all find more goodies!

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great discoveries! Congrats to the girl, she doesn't need another detector, she has your AT Pro and after a hunt like this IT'S HERS.
Good Luck and HH

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
That's AWESOME! She just broke into 2 centuries that most detectorists will never touch...and on her first outing! Now if I could get my 6yr to do the same thing! LOL GOOD JOB! Proud daddy!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have one fantastic new partner! Those are amazing finds!! Love that half!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great group of coins! Your daughter had a day like few of us ever have and she's just getting started. I would love to see nice close ups of all the coins. They look to be in great condition.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good grief, that IS insane! What an awesome hunt for her! Congrats on providing the opportunity for such an amazing shared experience... That's priceless. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions