FUGIO CENT UPDATE: THE GRADING VERDICT IS IN!

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As promised...I am providing everyone who has been watching this thread with an update on my Fugio cent. The coin is on route back to me as I type this...

Here is some info from an e-mail from ANACS:

Date Denom Grade Variety Superlative
1787 1C VF FUGIO K-4E BR

The variety is also known as a Newman 4E...which I believe some posters suggested.

Redbook value is I believe around $2000.00 U.S...of course it would never fetch that at auction...but it beats a $50.00 coin!

Thanks everyone for your interest and comments on this coin. Certainly my best coin find to date! The second best being a very rare blacksmith token.

not on Canadian soil at least!

I escaped the house again today, but only for an hour...I was actually out trying to help out a guy that wanted some tips and tricks on collecting indian artifacts and arrowheads. He wanted pointers on what to look for and where to look.

I figured I would go along, help out where I can, and maybe find an arrowhead or two...

we hit a little plateau near the river. The field had JUST been plowed, and not rained on yet...so visibility sucked, and I wasn't expecting to find much.

As I walked up the crest of a little knoll, I noticed a piece of glass...then another....about 4 in total...then there it was, laying flat on the surface....and I knew from 10 feet away it was a coin. However, I didn't know what it was, as it was caked with dirt and crust. I put it in my pocket and decided to wait to clean it up and home and check it out.

Over the next little bit I found two nice old flat buttons, one pewter, crusty, but I can make out a design. The other silver plated.

Anyhow, I was shocked when I got it home and cleaned it up. I knew instantly what I had, as these coins are hard not to recognize. The first American penny ever made :) I'm pumped! I am not sure if it is damaged, or if it was perhaps a die flaw??? It doesn't really seem like later damage to me.

Again, these finds were eyeballed in a field where not much was showing as it hasn't been rained on yet. I can't wait to get back there with my detector and see what I can find!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I never thought I would find one of these!!!!

thanks very much everyone :)

I am told this is a "Newman 4E" but I really can't confirm that. It is in nice condition for a field find..but I have zero experience when it comes to grading of U.S. coins...wish I knew. Not sure if it is worth sending in to be graded or not.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

WessThompson said:
Thanks for all the comments, links, info etc. Much appreciated!

There certainly are a ton of variations of this coin. From what I can tell mine is common...but I am no expert.

Can't wait to get back with the detector...maybe there is another in the dirt out there. I will keep you posted!

Wess

WessThompson,

like you say "common." ::) :o :P

Congrat on an outstanding find. ;)

Wish I could find some of that "common" stuff. :D

Again, a big congrat.

have a good un.........
SHERMANVILLE

Fish-Gate

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington, Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HOLY SMOKES! And I almost skipped past this posting, thinking it was a mercury dime or something. I haven't looked, but the book value on that should be pretty high. Great job.

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70

Just think,
Get back there quick!!! Wish We had stuff like that here in N. alabama!
C.J.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Wow! A Fugio! Very nice find. You said the finds were just lying on top? Must be some frost action going on up there, eh? I'd be drooling to get back there with a detector!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Wow! I can imagine it is hard to keep you away from that site! Very cool and bound to have lots more stuff too! Keep us updated!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o Sweet find, Wess!! Way to go on the eye balling. Get back there and keep us posted.

HH

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent find. Get diggin'

HH
Ken

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac

WOW!!! :o

That is an amazing find Wess... Congrats... Can't wait to see what the ol detector sniffs out...

HH Robert

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks again everyone! :) I appreciate the comments and kind words. If I can find one here in Canada....you can certainly find them in the U.S. Of course, I know I am in one of the oldest areas of Canada...but don't give up.

Thanks for the link...quite the dollar value on that fugio...granted it is of a different variety...but wow!

I am hoping to get back there shortly, even if it means a sick day from work haha

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I never even knew these existed, wow I sure could use $10,000... ;D and how the heck was it on the surface ???

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I never even knew these existed, wow I sure could use $10,000... ;D and how the heck was it on the surface ???

Keep @ it and HH!!

well, I don't think this is a $10,000 coin hah but I wish it were!

I should clarify as several have asked...it was in a plowed field, so it was pushed to the surface by farm equipment.

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

WessThompson said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

Keep @ it and HH!!

well, I don't think this is a $10,000 coin hah but I wish it were!

I should clarify as several have asked...it was in a plowed field, so it was pushed to the surface by farm equipment.

Looks like the same coin to me, doesnt it to you?

Attachments

• 1787 fugio.jpg
    1787 fugio.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 5,798

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dunky said:
oh wow! :o That's one coin I hope to find someday. Congratulations!

Me too. That would be the ultimate coin for me. Good job!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Wess, long time no hear but you sure did check in with an awesome find, a big congrats!!! I did not know they existed. I found a silver coin from 1320ish on the surface, I saw it before the detector hit it. I'll bet that field will produce some great finds, good luck when you get back with a detector. HH, Mike

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Definitely a Newman 4-E. The Club Ray Fugios are quiet interesting, no one is yet sure who they were made by or when. There are speculations that they were made after the regular production ended using leftover dies and hubs. They do seem to be made by a different mint than the regular issues, the lettering and planchet quality are different.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW !! never seen one of those before , but i have now and i'll keep my eyes open for them , great find and congrats ;)

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cottonjim said:
Looks like the same coin to me, doesnt it to you?
[/quote]

Actually, if you like at "United States" it is above and below...on mine United is to the left and States to the right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread