FUGIO CENT UPDATE: THE GRADING VERDICT IS IN!

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As promised...I am providing everyone who has been watching this thread with an update on my Fugio cent. The coin is on route back to me as I type this...

Here is some info from an e-mail from ANACS:

Date Denom Grade Variety Superlative
1787 1C VF FUGIO K-4E BR

The variety is also known as a Newman 4E...which I believe some posters suggested.

Redbook value is I believe around $2000.00 U.S...of course it would never fetch that at auction...but it beats a $50.00 coin!

Thanks everyone for your interest and comments on this coin. Certainly my best coin find to date! The second best being a very rare blacksmith token.

not on Canadian soil at least!

I escaped the house again today, but only for an hour...I was actually out trying to help out a guy that wanted some tips and tricks on collecting indian artifacts and arrowheads. He wanted pointers on what to look for and where to look.

I figured I would go along, help out where I can, and maybe find an arrowhead or two...

we hit a little plateau near the river. The field had JUST been plowed, and not rained on yet...so visibility sucked, and I wasn't expecting to find much.

As I walked up the crest of a little knoll, I noticed a piece of glass...then another....about 4 in total...then there it was, laying flat on the surface....and I knew from 10 feet away it was a coin. However, I didn't know what it was, as it was caked with dirt and crust. I put it in my pocket and decided to wait to clean it up and home and check it out.

Over the next little bit I found two nice old flat buttons, one pewter, crusty, but I can make out a design. The other silver plated.

Anyhow, I was shocked when I got it home and cleaned it up. I knew instantly what I had, as these coins are hard not to recognize. The first American penny ever made :) I'm pumped! I am not sure if it is damaged, or if it was perhaps a die flaw??? It doesn't really seem like later damage to me.

Again, these finds were eyeballed in a field where not much was showing as it hasn't been rained on yet. I can't wait to get back there with my detector and see what I can find!!

Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone :)

The find itself was extremely exciting...and the whole process of having the coin graded was quite fun and a great experience. Hopefully I have have another coin or two worth grading this year.

May you all find a Fugio in your detecting careers...and those who have already found one, well get out there and find another! They ARE still out there!

Wess

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions