🥇 BANNER Found...The Holy Grail!...on the second try

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jmastny78 and I headed back out to the old honey hole. The tear-out is progressing towards downtown. We spent a while exploring new territory with little luck. "If you can't find them where you are...go back to where you found them before...you're bound to have missed something." So I told Jer I was headed back to the church. I had gridded this patch of ground twice in the last two nights. We had found some older coins over the last two nights but I noticed we weren't finding any of the oddball coins (trimes, flying eagles, half-dimes, or any of those coins that seemed to circulate after the large cents). So I decided I was just going to dig everything.

Came across a signal in the foil range. The dirt had already been disturbed around the signal so it was obvious that the signal had been dug by someone previously. Yes, that someone would be me the night before. Obviously I gave up on the target figuring it wasn't worth my while. Well it was giving a signal between 42-46 on the ATPro. Same signal I got earlier this year when I dug up a three cent nickel. Poked around in the dirt a bit. Ah, a piece of foil. "Man that's a shiny piece of foil". Flipped it over and rubbed the dirt off of it.:BangHead: OH...MY...GOD! I recognize that bust!

080515GDF.jpg

$1 Gold Coin, Indian Princess Head, Small Head Variety(let me know if you disagree)...minted 1854-1856.:headbang::headbang::headbang: Unfortunately, or more interestingly, depending on your vantage point...it had been modified into a love token.

080515GDB.jpg

I raised my hands in victory as I walked towards Jmastny to show him. ...and received the "What did that ******* find now?" look.

I realize this has been modified into a love token and was probably worn around someone's neck for a number of years...but someone please assure me that I can now claim to be a member of the gold coin club...a membership I have aspired to for the last 20+ years. A lofty goal, if you're hunting in Michigan (and probably a number of other places).

080515Finds.jpg

Today's digs...

Love token crafted from a $1 Gold Coin (1854-1856)
1898 Barber dime
(2) Wheatbacks 1911, 1939

Upvote 74

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely stunning. A very good reminder to myself to not give up on those 40s signals on the Pro. One of these days, it won't be foil! Thank you for sharing and congrats!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRADS !!! :occasion14:

callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely fantastic -- congratulations! You've been justly rewarded for digging your share of iffy signals...

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is definitely a great find and if any man were to give me a love token like that, I would be his.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Street tearouts can be the slowest and most unproductive hunting there is... way to go!!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TALK ABOUT KNOCKING THE BALL OUT THE PARK . BOY THATS A SWEET GOLD PEICE . MY EYES ARE KINDA BAD CANT MAKE OUT THE INITIALS ON THE BACK . AND IF I HAD FOUND THAT I WOULD LOOK LIKE CURLY ON THE GROUND SPINNING ON HIS SIDE.

Yeah, Sut. Thing is so small...I can't focus on it up close to read it, and it I hold it far enough away to focus...it's too small to read. I think the letters are AEL, second guess...AES.

PBS

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely beautiful, and a very special, singular find after 20 years in. Banner!

Of course, given the level of reinforcement involved, I see a LOT of foil being dug in your future.

Cheers!

You're not kidding! Of course now that I've found the first gold coin...each additional gold coin find gets progressively easier...Right?!:laughing7:

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your only an "associate member" of the gold club, because you can't quit claim to be a full member and there are no "half members" due to your coin only having half a coin side. :laughing9:

I was afraid there might be such a clause.:laughing7:

PBS

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Street tearouts can be the slowest and most unproductive hunting there is... way to go!!!:occasion14:

Daaavve, you are SO right AND you are SO wrong. I have seen my share of tear-outs over 20+ years. They have been some of the most productive AND some of the most unproductive sites I have detected. Luck plays a big part...and it never hurts to know a little something that no one else knows about that particular tear-out. I could tell you stories!

PBS

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find I just can't believe it read so low. I found a fair share reading 48-49 but never that low. Awesome u just never know

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the Club!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on becoming an Exclusive Member!!! Nice finds all around.... HH and GL

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find. It definitely counts as a gold coin, and a personalized one at that.

The heyday of love tokens was in the 1870s, and I think most of them are old losses. My only gold coin was also made into a love token.

Congratulations on joining the club.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14:....atp?,for reasons I'm not sure of my at pro has upped my gold count consistantly.not sure if its the machine or other variables.only gold I ever got in the 40s was a 1 gram wire ring.would have thot a lil higher for disk shaped coin.

super good job there.awsome keeper and banner vote in !!!

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14:....atp?,for reasons I'm not sure of my at pro has upped my gold count consistantly.not sure if its the machine or other variables.only gold I ever got in the 40s was a 1 gram wire ring.would have thot a lil higher for disk shaped coin.

super good job there.awsome keeper and banner vote in !!!

When I bought the machine I was told that it did very well on gold. Not that I do a lot of hunting where I expect to find gold. Probably the frequency that the machine operates on. I understand lower frequencies hit silver well. I think the ATP is 15 Khz?

PBS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions