🥇 BANNER Found...The Holy Grail!...on the second try

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jmastny78 and I headed back out to the old honey hole. The tear-out is progressing towards downtown. We spent a while exploring new territory with little luck. "If you can't find them where you are...go back to where you found them before...you're bound to have missed something." So I told Jer I was headed back to the church. I had gridded this patch of ground twice in the last two nights. We had found some older coins over the last two nights but I noticed we weren't finding any of the oddball coins (trimes, flying eagles, half-dimes, or any of those coins that seemed to circulate after the large cents). So I decided I was just going to dig everything.

Came across a signal in the foil range. The dirt had already been disturbed around the signal so it was obvious that the signal had been dug by someone previously. Yes, that someone would be me the night before. Obviously I gave up on the target figuring it wasn't worth my while. Well it was giving a signal between 42-46 on the ATPro. Same signal I got earlier this year when I dug up a three cent nickel. Poked around in the dirt a bit. Ah, a piece of foil. "Man that's a shiny piece of foil". Flipped it over and rubbed the dirt off of it.:BangHead: OH...MY...GOD! I recognize that bust!

080515GDF.jpg

$1 Gold Coin, Indian Princess Head, Small Head Variety(let me know if you disagree)...minted 1854-1856.:headbang::headbang::headbang: Unfortunately, or more interestingly, depending on your vantage point...it had been modified into a love token.

080515GDB.jpg

I raised my hands in victory as I walked towards Jmastny to show him. ...and received the "What did that ******* find now?" look.

I realize this has been modified into a love token and was probably worn around someone's neck for a number of years...but someone please assure me that I can now claim to be a member of the gold coin club...a membership I have aspired to for the last 20+ years. A lofty goal, if you're hunting in Michigan (and probably a number of other places).

080515Finds.jpg

Today's digs...

Love token crafted from a $1 Gold Coin (1854-1856)
1898 Barber dime
(2) Wheatbacks 1911, 1939

Upvote 74

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an Amazing and Wonderful find - BANNER all the way !!!!!!!!!! Wow what beauty !
( I think the love token aspect enhances the find massively !)

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck yeah, that is a awesome find!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
certainly not "unfortunately" it was made into a pendant, because it if wasn't made into jewelry, you probably never would have found it because it wouldn't have been lost as a coin. Major plus for the modification of it

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is better then a normal 1 dollar gold piece in my opinion .... that had a lot of meaning for someone and it is very cool that you brought it back into the light to be enjoyed once again

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personalized love token gold coin pendant ! Banner!
Awesome find! Congrats!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet save PBS. :occasion14: How's it feel to have joined the gold coin club? I'm not a member of that exclusive club. Someday maybe...
That is an awesome dirt fishing site you found. GL and keep exploiting that area.

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's gold, and it's a coin...I'd say you're in! What a cool find!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great story and good luck for sure!!!!:occasion14:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A US gold coin turned into a love token is 100x rarer than a US gold coin, which is 100x rarer than a foreign gold coin. You have a Banner Find sir! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a surprise when you saw the back, good for you to re-dig that signal, a lesson you will never forget. Incredible find and as others said, way better than just a $1 gold coin. A 19th century U.S. Gold Coin, love token is a holy grail in our hobby. Huge congrats :-)

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of the above and my Banner vote is in....

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TALK ABOUT KNOCKING THE BALL OUT THE PARK . BOY THATS A SWEET GOLD PEICE . MY EYES ARE KINDA BAD CANT MAKE OUT THE INITIALS ON THE BACK . AND IF I HAD FOUND THAT I WOULD LOOK LIKE CURLY ON THE GROUND SPINNING ON HIS SIDE.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TALK ABOUT KNOCKING THE BALL OUT THE PARK . BOY THATS A SWEET GOLD PEICE . MY EYES ARE KINDA BAD CANT MAKE OUT THE INITIALS ON THE BACK . AND IF I HAD FOUND THAT I WOULD LOOK LIKE CURLY ON THE GROUND SPINNING ON HIS SIDE.

Do it anyway?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a really nice Gold Coin/Love Token find! I sure hope that an 1855-D "Indian Princess" One Dollar Gold Coin was not used or even an 1855-C to make the Love Token!!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions