Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have high hopes that it's not plated, but it probably is. Any simple (and cheap!) ways to test without ruining it? I've thought about taking it to a local jeweler, but not sure they will be able to figure it out either.

The other half of that chemistry experiment is turning that zinc plate to brass by heating it. If you hold it over a flame or other strong heat source like your stove (with tongs and appropriate safety precautions taken) it will turn "gold" by allowing the zinc and underlying copper to react. If it's not zinc plated nothing will happen, and if it is you'll be left with a brass plated penny. If you really want the "silver" plating back it's easy enough to do and you can make yourself a thousand of them if you really want to: How to Make Gold Pennies | Experiments | Steve Spangler Science

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is pretty obvious by the planchet size that it is not silver and is plated as said earlier.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
If it was silver, it would most likely be struck on a dime planchet. It looks larger than a dime. It should also weigh the same as a silver dime. You can tell right away by its weight, how it signaled under the detector, its size, etc. But these are almost always plated in some way after minting. Gets the blood pumping for a few seconds though.

OP
OP
Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Dec 27, 2014
Western Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update:

So I'm still hopeful this may turn out to be something. Took it to the local jeweler this morning to get his opinion. Keep in mind, this is in small town Minnesota. He ran a silver polish cloth over a small section of it, said it polished up like silver. Then we weighed it. Please forgive my ignorance on this next part. He said that it weighed up at between 1.9-2.0 DWT. I think that is a gold measure. A regular penny weighed in at 1.6 DWT.

Can anyone advise me on next steps? I don't have ready access to a coin dealer or even really know where to start. Thanks.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Update:

So I'm still hopeful this may turn out to be something. Took it to the local jeweler this morning to get his opinion. Keep in mind, this is in small town Minnesota. He ran a silver polish cloth over a small section of it, said it polished up like silver. Then we weighed it. Please forgive my ignorance on this next part. He said that it weighed up at between 1.9-2.0 DWT. I think that is a gold measure. A regular penny weighed in at 1.6 DWT.

Can anyone advise me on next steps? I don't have ready access to a coin dealer or even really know where to start. Thanks.

If you think you're onto something, send it in to be graded.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
If you think you're onto something, send it in to be graded.

Google NGC or PCGS... they are the big grading companies. You send the coin in, they grade and authenticate it, then "slab" it (put it in a plastic unopenable container). At this point you can sell it for a hefty profit... providing that it is really silver... which as much as I hate to tell you, it is not.

In the long run, it will cost you about $60 (actually only $59.99, because you already have one cent!) to prove to yourself that this is a plated coin.

I hope this does not come off as me being the bad guy, just trying to be honest... like when a girl asks if this dress makes her look fat!

Best of luck to you sir.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dipped in lead solder. Did it way back when

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does it read on your AT pro?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google NGC or PCGS... they are the big grading companies. You send the coin in, they grade and authenticate it, then "slab" it (put it in a plastic unopenable container). At this point you can sell it for a hefty profit... providing that it is really silver... which as much as I hate to tell you, it is not.

In the long run, it will cost you about $60 (actually only $59.99, because you already have one cent!) to prove to yourself that this is a plated coin.

I hope this does not come off as me being the bad guy, just trying to be honest... like when a girl asks if this dress makes her look fat!

Best of luck to you sir.

Tom, you have been reading IP's posts again, haven't you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread