Upvote 0

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give am a couple days! My brother is fluent, I'll send it to him n get back to you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Can't read Chinese, but let me be a bit of a kill-joy on these cache coins. They were made up to as recently as the 1910s. And let's assume your coin has 4 characters on both sides. That would make it amongst the newer types. But even assuming yours has 2 characters on the back-side (which would make it the older type, dating from the 1600 & 1700's), it still doesn't shed any light on a) when it was lost, and b) value.

a) those coins came over to the USA in apparent barrel-fulls. There's TONS of them at any place chinese emigrants landed at (and even well-beyond). And this was in total disregard for their mintage dates. They go in dynasties or something like that (30 or 50 yr. spans, etc...). And must've been stored in barrels over in China for 100's of years, before ever embarking on journeys or distributions. Because they arrived here in the USA with utterly no relevance to their date of minting. So for example, you can find them dated as far back as the 1600s in Chinatown (gold rush, RR workers, etc...) sites dating to the mid to late 1800s. So the date of minting has no bearing whatsoever on when they were lost.

b) none of them have any value. They're cool as a historic item, and are barber or seated "age indicators" (as to stratas), but beyond that, nothing but a curiosity piece.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some that may have value, as to which one that is you will have to hunt through this site Chinese coin and charm images and try to match up photos till you figure out which coin it is.

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is a barber or seated not a good coin? I would love to find either

OP
OP
J

jmill73

Dec 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry ive updated the post of reverse side

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY 73 SEE YOU GOT ONE OF THOSE CORNFUCIOUS COINS NEAT.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The population of China is estimated at 1,393,783,836 - So probably at least that many people. :dontknow:

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my brother got back to me about the writing on the coin. He says its literal translation is " Treasure Bucket" in modern Mandarin Chinese. It may mean something different depending on the period in time when it was minted and under what dialect. He wasn't able to read all of it due to the pic. Hope that helps a bit!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions