🥇 BANNER CS buckle found in Goldsboro, NC this past weekend!!!

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally, after detecting around Goldsboro for 26 years, I struck it big with this CS buckle. All 3 hooks in the back are fully intact as you can see. What a thrill. I have emailed a couple different appraisers. I found it with the Fisher F-75 LTD and it was about 4" deep. The area was a known Union soldier encampment. Thanks

Attachments

• picurts 030.JPG
    picurts 030.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 720
  • picurts 026.JPG
    picurts 026.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 614
  • picurts 027.JPG
    picurts 027.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 566
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 77

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I could sell the centerpiece of a CW collection. Congrats on the find, though!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
26 years of Hunting & you want to sell it?
Well it is yours to do with what you want??
Awesome Find.
Banner Worthy
Hope you really need the Money.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that the OP never once came back to this thread to say thanks or offer any further information about this incredible find? I think he just wants to know now much money he is going to get by selling it.

----When it's 'Easy Come ' it's easy Go???????

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome buckle. Makes me sad that you are selling it though. :sad11:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! Congrats!

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments. I do not get on Tnet daily. I work as a fire fighter and when I am home, my wife and I have 4 boys that keep us busy. Now here is exactly how it was found: With my pistol tucked behind my belt, concealed carry license in pocket :laughing7: (this was in a rather dangerous part of town) I was working a particular lot in a grid pattern. I was on my last pass to have covered the lot one complete time. On that last pass, I received a strong signal that read 83 on my Fisher F-75 LTD. I popped a plug out with my shovel and as I looked in the hole, about 4" down, I could clearly see a rectangle with 3 hooks. My heart dropped a bit as I knew it was a Civil War buckle of some sort. I excitedly reached down and turned it over to see a CS! I was stunned. I just looked at it and said to myself, "I finally did it. Thank you Jesus!" I found a Union bullet about 10 feet away, and also 1 rivet close by. That was it for CW items from this lot. I have been back numerous times and had no more CW finds.

Now, yes, I am also excited about the monetary value of this find. I have sought opinions on what folks think. I appreciate the input. I do not mean for this to sound like a classified add. I apologize to anyone I have offended in regards to seeking opinions as to worth and for possibly wanting to sell. Each of our life situations are different. Thanks so much for all of the banner comments. Take care friends.

Happy sailing fellow castaways,

Gilligan

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow! awesome find! I wouldn't be able to part with that one.

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice buckle. They call that the "sardine can" buckle. I don't have my Confederate buckle book in front of me or I could give you more info. Here is a link to another one that was posted a couple years ago. That is a Banner find.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...confederate-sword-plate-our-special-site.html

not to burst your bubble, and I certainly don't want to argue with you, but that actually isn't the type that is referred to as the Sardine Can. the "sardine can" buckle is actually quite different. this one is referred to as an army of Tennessee, or a clip corner style.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't say anything that hasn't already been said about it, very nice find.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on making banner.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you got your well deserved Banner.
Thx for your service to the community.

If this place was known as a Union Encampment & you dug just a few other CW era relics ( That one was waiting for you).

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Holy Grail! Congratulations.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not to burst your bubble, and I certainly don't want to argue with you, but that actually isn't the type that is referred to as the Sardine Can. the "sardine can" buckle is actually quite different. this one is referred to as an army of Tennessee, or a clip corner style.
That's fine, I don't live in a bubble. I have a copy of Steve Mullinax Confederate buckle book at home, I'll look it up after work. I've only ever dug three Confederate buckles, so I'm far from an expert.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANG!!! I had to click on that little picture up top to see what that grin was all about. I can now see why. Lucky you! Gilligan. You sure can be proud of that kind a find...

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very very nice

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not to burst your bubble, and I certainly don't want to argue with you, but that actually isn't the type that is referred to as the Sardine Can. the "sardine can" buckle is actually quite different. this one is referred to as an army of Tennessee, or a clip corner style.[/Q, that nay be a more local term.UOTE]
Corpsman, in the interest of accuracy for those that don't have the proper reference material, I checked my copy of Steve Mullinax's "Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates". I was mistaken in calling the OP's buckle a Sardine Can style. Per Mullinax, it is referred to as a Solid Cast. The Sardine Lid style, although similar in shape, is made from die struck rolled brass. However, the only Army of Tennessee style in his book was a Sardine Lid type. None of these were called "clipped corner" in his book. Here are pictures of the Solid Cast that I believe the OP dug, and the Army of Tennessee "Sardine Lid" buckle.

Attachments

• Sardine Lid Style.jpg
    Sardine Lid Style.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Solid Cast Style.jpg
    Solid Cast Style.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 89

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions