Antique Asian Apothecary Medicine Chest

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Got this at the flea market today for $48 to keep for myself- i was wondering if anybody could help me get an age for this. It seems modern reproductions sell at Sears for $500, but the language characters on those are stamped, whereas mine are carved, would take a long time to do. Seems that originals also sell in the $500 range as well on Ebay. Any idea what language the characters are in, Korean, Chinese, Japanese? I will post more pics shortly as well of hardware used, in case it can be dated based on its construction. Any thoughts welcome, thanks guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:
Upvote 3

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever translate all the chinese? I'm guessing some of them may not have an english translation. Such as 五赤 wuchi (which is a chinese medicine to help the heart) and 骨杞 guqi. 川连 chuanlian 川連 is sichuan coptis root.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Oh wow! No I never figured out any more. Thank you Yang Hao!

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
By the way, let me know if you happen to know any others if you have time! Do you know of a source I can use on the internet to find this information perhaps?

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Removed the cruddy spraypaint from the brass! Unfortunate it was sprayed, had a great patina layer I noticed while sanding, at least the drawers appear to have the original finish! Took out each brass nail carefully and placed them back in the same spot, even the same amount of rotation so they would fit right! Only one nail broke and was replaced. Sanded the brass, wiped with apple cider vinegar and baked at 450 for 20 min to give it a a darker color, rinsed, mineral oiled, and reinstalled, looks great!
image.jpeg

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Also, all the drawers were handmade to fit in their respective spots- some were fitting weird, and I noticed that the back of the drawers were given numbers in a red wax pencil. I put them back in order and now they all fit great! Apparently, whoever labeled them couldn't write 9's correctly- wrote them as P's on drawers 9 and 19...

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job, that looks so much better! That thing is really cool.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks! Also, concerning age, the trim in between the drawers seems to be common on most of the ones advertised on the bay as mid to late 1800's, as well as one listed as pre-1800. Luckily the outer wood side panels that create a gap between the outside and the sides of the outermost drawers, as well as only 3 tacks used per top brass fitting, and of course the darkening of the unfinished wood along with blackening from moisture seems to eliminate it from being a modern 'Korean' Walmart type. They also don't offer this 27 drawer configuration.

bulletprobe

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this medicine cabinet is worth 50,000USD in other auction houses you got a good price this medicine cabinet belongs to the emperor qianlong of the qing dynasty

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well great... Now i know it's not one of a kind... Might as well throw it away with the rest of the made in china junk... :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread