Antique Asian Apothecary Medicine Chest

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Got this at the flea market today for $48 to keep for myself- i was wondering if anybody could help me get an age for this. It seems modern reproductions sell at Sears for $500, but the language characters on those are stamped, whereas mine are carved, would take a long time to do. Seems that originals also sell in the $500 range as well on Ebay. Any idea what language the characters are in, Korean, Chinese, Japanese? I will post more pics shortly as well of hardware used, in case it can be dated based on its construction. Any thoughts welcome, thanks guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some drawers have been glued in the past, and the top, sides, and back of chest recently repainted in a stain, still smells. The drawer faces appear not recently repainted, but may have been clear lacquered over the original color at some point. Sorry if the picture in the first post wouldn't enlarge, it was just a thumbnail!
image.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find for $48, :occasion14: it's a great price and a very nice piece. I would keep it to store my finds that are not being displayed in the printers drawer that hangs on the wall in my garage. I can see it now, 1 drawer for gold (empty), one for silver jewelry, 1 for scouting items, 1 for old coins that I do not have a folder for, 1 for wheat pennies, 1 for tootsie toys, and so on.

S

stefen

I could be wrong but it looks like its typical Japanese style by the cabinet top as opposed to other oriental origins.

Japanese architecture and cabinetry employ tremendous amounts of religious symbolism, which the top signifies using the up-swept ends.

The pulls with the bent over shanks are typical of Japanese cabinetry.

Usually, the cabinet makers use internal (hidden) mortice & tenon or dovetail joinery.

The embossed characters are used throughout most oriental languages...the meanings may differ by origin.

I would assume each drawer is dedicated to a specific herb or medication such as ground Rhino horn, Ginsing, and the like.

If someone was in the position to compare the characters using Japan, China, Korea and Vietnam interpretations, then that should point to the actual country of origin.

My bets on Japan...

Last edited:
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great find for $48, :occasion14: it's a great price and a very nice piece. I would keep it to store my finds that are not being displayed in the printers drawer that hangs on the wall in my garage. I can see it now, 1 drawer for gold (empty), one for silver jewelry, 1 for scouting items, 1 for old coins that I do not have a folder for, 1 for wheat pennies, 1 for tootsie toys, and so on.

My thinking exactly! Gold, silver, coins, fossils, native artifacts by location, colonial by location, knick-knacks, etc. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I could be wrong but it looks like its typical Japanese style by the cabinet top as opposed to other oriental origins.

Japanese architecture and cabinetry employ tremendous amounts of religious symbolism, which the top signifies using the up-swept ends.

The pulls with the bent over shanks are typical of Japanese cabinetry.

Usually, the cabinet makers use internal (hidden) mortice & tenon or dovetail joinery.

The embossed characters are used throughout most oriental languages...the meanings may differ by origin.

I would assume each drawer is dedicated to a specific herb or medication such as ground Rhino horn, Ginsing, and the like.

If someone was in the position to compare the characters using Japan, China, Korea and Vietnam interpretations, then that should point to the actual country of origin.

My bets on Japan...

Thanks! Very informative- i guess I will have to identify some of thee characters as either Kanji, Korean, Mandarin, etc. Any idea on a decade it may have been made in? I've seen some modern repros, 1930's/40's, 1870/80's, and late 1700's. :coffee2:

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I asked my Korean friend and he was able to identify the characters as old Chinese Kanji script! Now I can start translating which drawers held which herbs. I'll update again if I get a reliable date range.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TO6 THATS A GREAT BUY .

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's Chinese, but due to the state of the pictures as well as the way the characters were carved on the drawers, it is very difficult for me to manage to decipher both of the characters on a given door. The only one that I am positive I transcribed correctly is the very bottom right small drawer (i.e., second to last row, last column), 三大, which Google translate says means "three". Without being able to decipher any other drawers it is difficult to tell what this means in context. In addition, I can't say for sure if each drawer is two words or just one (a character can stand alone as a word or combine to form a single word). The one that I did decipher seems to result in some of the same image search results whether it is put together or separated, so there is a chance that it means something to the effect of "big three" or "miraculous three".

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure you will recover your investment if you decide not to keep it. It will certainly enhance your favorite finds and keep them safe.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you all! Mcl, I will upload another photo I have showing the front of the chest in better light and in a higher resolution shortly if the website will allow its size, thanks!

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all! Mcl, I will upload another photo I have showing the front of the chest in better light and in a higher resolution shortly if the website will allow its size, thanks!

Thank you for the pictures. Working on it now. I will update this post as I figure more out, but I think the one I just transcribed confirms the "different herb in every drawer" apothecary hypothesis. The bottom right large drawer (FYI for those who didn't notice, the pic is upside down) says 知母, which translates to Anemarrhena, a Chinese/Mongolian/Korean herb which, according to Wikipedia is used in traditional Chinese medicine, and the second result on Google is from a site called "acupuncture today".

Even if this cabinet is not an antique, you struck a proverbial gold mine picking it up for $48. Downright awesome piece.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! It looks as if it was recently spray painted on the top...can the brass edging be cleaned so it shows the brass again? It my increase its aesthetic value if not its monetary value.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice score! It looks as if it was recently spray painted on the top...can the brass edging be cleaned so it shows the brass again? It my increase its aesthetic value if not its monetary value.

Correct, the back, sides and top have been sprayed/stained recently. Not the front. I was thinking the same thing show off the brass!

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you for the pictures. Working on it now. I will update this post as I figure more out, but I think the one I just transcribed confirms the "different herb in every drawer" apothecary hypothesis. The bottom right large drawer (FYI for those who didn't notice, the pic is upside down) says 知母, which translates to Anemarrhena, a Chinese/Mongolian/Korean herb which, according to Wikipedia is used in traditional Chinese medicine, and the second result on Google is from a site called "acupuncture today".

Even if this cabinet is not an antique, you struck a proverbial gold mine picking it up for $48. Downright awesome piece.

Thank you! I found that the character on the right side of the drawer that is in the 4th row from the top, 4th column from the left is for cinnamon! ...Wikipedia lol.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
2nd row, 4th column, both characters together mean rhubarb.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions