Gun Show Button Haul...Civil War? HELP! Gold and Silver too.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit an estate sale today at an 1840 house. It was nice to see but many of the "antiques' were reproductions. I found the jewelry area and most were priced quite high. They were 25% off but not worth it. I managed to find two bracelets for $3, one was unmarked and the other was so worn the sterling mark was barely visible. I also got a 13g 1/20th 12KT Gold Filled bracelet for $1. On the way home saw a gun show and thought I would stop. It was really big. I walked thru the show for 3 hours and checked out a few of the coin dealers that were present. I then found one dealer selling a box of buttons and pins at 7 for $1. I spent 45 minutes going thru it and went crazy....it was awesome. I couldn't believe it but there were what appeared to by Massachusetts, Connecticut, NY Civil War or Post Civil War buttons along with a bunch of interesting military and civilian pins. I am researching the CW buttons now. Any help on the buttons would be appreciated. Check out these finds.

Sterling 1.2ozt

10kt 3.4g and 13g 1/20th 12kt

Interesting Plated Pins

Massachusetts CW Buttons (Scovill Mf'G Co Waterbury)

Massachusetts CW Buttons (Extra Quality)

New York Button (First Quality W.B. Co)

Connecticut Button (Ridabock & Co, New York)

Governors Foot Guard (CT) (Scovill Mf'g Co Waterbury)

New Bedford (MA) Police (D. Evans & Co. Attleboro Ma.)

Upvote 7

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some nice finds there :icon_thumright: The old buttons are awesome !!!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. Nice buttons.
In the Relic Hunting forum, there's a nearly hidden Button sub-forum.
Re-post there for id.
GL
Peace โœŒ

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hin Jim Don; Nice finds but what are you doing with Mass. State Seal Buttons in NC ?? Those are the buttons with the Indian in the Crest ok. They are all in great shape to. Way to go. PEAE:RONB

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice instant collection. All the buttons are post Civil War. circa 1880's to early 1900's or so. but definitely post-1865.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hin Jim Don; Nice finds but what are you doing with Mass. State Seal Buttons in NC ?? Those are the buttons with the Indian in the Crest ok. They are all in great shape to. Way to go. PEAE:RONB

Barker, the guy said he bought a junk lot from a guy in Massachusetts. Glad to have them since I am from RI and my Mom from Mass.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice instant collection. All the buttons are post Civil War. circa 1880's to early 1900's or so. but definitely post-1865.

What confused me as a reference on the internet that the backMark was from 1840-1865. Someone needs to get him to remove it if it is incorrect.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What confused me as a reference on the internet that the backMark was from 1840-1865. Someone needs to get him to remove it if it is incorrect.

Lots of incorrect info on the web, thats why its good to have books (which also make some mistakes, but not profit making ones!) & build your own knowledge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread