I would take this over a barber half any day. Huge spear point found while detecting.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this afternoon I figured I'd try and find another long gone home site that is currently in a vast corn field. So I was working the area that I thought would be the home site, according to my maps. Picked up some glass shards, square nails and some lead. No coins or neat relics today but as I am walking along between the corn rows I spot the tip of a point sticking out of the dirt, ok nothing new probably just a broken tip to something. Anyway I will let the pictures speak for themselves. You can see the clean tip of the point that I noticed. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Cleaned up, this is biggest point I have ever found out in a feild. Hard to believe it surived the plowing. image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 33

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, way better than a Barber Half, very cool! I'm thinking Banner, I just don't know enough about those to date them?

Congrats, I'd be so stoked if I found that.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice point save there, it probably would have gotten destroyed on the next equipment pass !!!

bammer

Apr 5, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The size of the point gets me thinking about stirring up the pot a little.
I propose it is exactly what it looks like, an arrow point.
You say that's a huge arrow how about it just being a spear point or knife, but if you can imagine someone who is 7 or 8 feet tall, they would need a bigger set of tools, etc...
I've seen huge points, axes, spears that most seem to just group into burial ornamental items because they can serve no function to a modern size man.
We will never know because we were not there.
I appreciate all the folks who study points but I have heard very little about the anomaly and unique items.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The size of the point gets me thinking about stirring up the pot a little.
I propose it is exactly what it looks like, an arrow point.
You say that's a huge arrow how about it just being a spear point or knife, but if you can imagine someone who is 7 or 8 feet tall, they would need a bigger set of tools, etc...
I've seen huge points, axes, spears that most seem to just group into burial ornamental items because they can serve no function to a modern size man.
We will never know because we were not there.
I appreciate all the folks who study points but I have heard very little about the anomaly and unique items.

Intresting thought I am assuming your talking about points like this.The one I found the other day is on far left. image.jpg Well unless the experts have found 8 foot tall skeletal remains that date back thousands of years I don't know about that. I believe ones that have been found are same size as modern man. Unless you ask Scott Wolter he might agree with you. Still intresting thought.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice point. I don't know which one I would rather have. I suppose it would depend on how many Barber Halves I have already found.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't have an affinity for Native American artifacts... not in my wheelhouse, so to speak...

But that piece is freakin awesome. Good job by you!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice point. I don't know which one I would rather have. I suppose it would depend on how many Barber Halves I have already found.

Personally I have found two barber halves and one seated half. Fact that is was not already broken from all the years of plowing. :icon_scratch: I find stuff like this often. image.jpg Busted, or smaller bird points about 1 inch intact. To me something like this man made that is possibly 9,000 years old and is almost perfect is special. Boggles my mind thinking about the person who made it and how living was around my area thousands of years ago.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HELIX , GAULEY WHAT A FIND.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread