Meteorite? Ummmm.... What is this thingy?

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
My 6th sense. No seriously. I just use my intuition.
My dad has the metal detector. No clue what brand it is. You think he's gonna let me play around with it? NOPE.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_8368.JPG
IMG_8370.JPG
IMG_8372.JPG
:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In some ways it resembles a piece of lava/pumice that I used to collect as a kid when we went to Iceland, but unless you have volcanic activity in your area, might be a piece of something that was in a campfire or something of that sort. Good eye and keep playing in the dirt -- I'm sure you'll be finding more great stuff. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
My dad has the metal detector. No clue what brand it is. You think he's gonna let me play around with it? NOPE.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in central georgia. Piedmont Blue ridge area right at the bottom. Yes. There were volcanoes... Not shocking because I find a lot of this stuff around here.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Coke…slag…"Clinker". To me it looks like the product of an "earthly" furnace.
Geologyjohn

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is slag from an Iron Smelting process. Probably an old forge nearby.

OP
OP
L

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno about any forges near by. I found it on the hill in the dirt in the dry embankment heading down really steep incline towards the lake/reservoir right behind the house.... the water makes a distinct channel to the lake every time it rains and it uncovers really cool rocks and stuff each time..... I prefer to scan and dig shallow places in hillsides and let mother nature do the heavy lifting and sifting for me unless I'm really bored and want to get super dirty.

If it was smelted it had to be a really long time ago. You can't make a fire on this hill or smelt iron on it... The incline is super steep.

I also find weird stuff like this-- I can scratch the odd duck shaped one with my fingernail... : (Pretty small btw. These photos were taken on a wooden stool. I, besides, not knowing what the odd duck shaped thing is, I think the other is quartzite or calcite and heavy iron oxide.

image2.JPG image3.JPG

I should post a picture of where I look here just to give you an idea of where I look for stuff as well as the terrain...

I did, however, find this threaded rusted old pipe thing today too. It was weird it had a hole through it and dang it. Hang on. I'll show you. I dunno what this thingy is either. Looks... like a man toy... for... Plumbing... but... maybe a car? Um. Yeah. Not my department.
Any of you boys know what this pipe thing is?

FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Also... Here is some slate and basalt samples I picked up too. I THINK that's what this is. Not 100% correct me if I am wrong.

image5.JPG image4.JPG

And just for the heck of it here are some pretty selections I made from the tumbler and some are fresh. Some I found today. I really like the white one one with the black stuff on top? Its neat looking!

I know there is lots of pink beryl here if I just dig... you can see I found a pink beryl garnet. I have a larger piece in the tumbler of the pink beryl.
It's really pretty not the best I've found but... I'll share it later when I make it presentable.

IMG_8392.JPG FullSizeRender (4).jpg FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry don't know what the "Man Toy" is :laughing7: Looks like an arbor of sorts that spun on its axis. You got a nice set of rocks there--used to love tumbling rocks--its like nature's own art. Love the "duck!" :occasion14:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this link will help. I know we found all types of rocks in paulding county.

Geology of Georgia

I don't know the right terms..I think they were called thermal vents?Volcanic tubes? Where different rocks or minerals show up in one place. So, your rock could possibly be volcanic, or slag dumped years ago off the side of a hill as fill. I don't know enough to Identify it.:dontknow: I'm still new to the Geology stuff. GA has a variety of stuff! Not being from here, when we moved here it was a whole new world of rocks and cool stuff! Our neighbors watch and laugh when we're on our hands and knees in the yard looking at the new stuff that washed out of a hill, and putting it in our pockets! :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
L

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this link will help. I know we found all types of rocks in paulding county.

Geology of Georgia

I don't know the right terms..I think they were called thermal vents?Volcanic tubes? Where different rocks or minerals show up in one place. So, your rock could possibly be volcanic, or slag dumped years ago off the side of a hill as fill. I don't know enough to Identify it.:dontknow: I'm still new to the Geology stuff. GA has a variety of stuff! Not being from here, when we moved here it was a whole new world of rocks and cool stuff! Our neighbors watch and laugh when we're on our hands and knees in the yard looking at the new stuff that washed out of a hill, and putting it in our pockets! :laughing7:

I totally understand, I'm starting to think this lake has some secrets. Spooky.
Yes. Many of the neighbors probably think I am silly out in the dirt playing with rocks. Eh, whatevs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread