Almost threw silver back in the hole !!

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across this shaker head today and almost put it back cause it didnt look like sterling ! I learned a lesson today hold on to everything till you clean it ! I also found a small coin spill from the 1880's and a 43 merc . 82,84,85 indian heads and a shield nickel no date again !? Second one i found ever and both are no dates os that common ? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440624464.919357.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440624495.985777.jpg

Upvote 13

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah its usually comon to not even recognize its a shield nickel. the date is right near the rim at the very bottom i could almost make urs out. usually the coins are so roached all u know that is was a nickel once..but great job work on getting that date off i know u can!

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found several V nickels and at least 5 Buffalo Nickels- none have the dates and the V Nickels are so toasted, it's hard to even tell what they are. I'm in New Jersey, so I would say it's common around here. Nice finds and I'm glad you didn't toss the Silver back in the hole!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps I am misinterpreting your post.....but I have to ask..."almost put it back"....:icon_scratch:
Back where? In the hole?

If I dig it, I own it... if its trash, it doesn't get re-buried... it goes in the pouch, on to the next target.

aside from that.....nice finds.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps I am misinterpreting your post.....but I have to ask..."almost put it back"....:icon_scratch:
Back where? In the hole?

If I dig it, I own it... if its trash, it doesn't get re-buried... it goes in the pouch, on to the next target.

Yeah.....and nice finds. Good luck with the date on the nickel.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back where? In the hole?

WHAT!?!? And spoil the fun for the next poor schmuck that comes along? ;)

Nice silver, Tanz!

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back where? In the hole?

Well where i go is deep woods and i would have to have a radio flyer wagon to carry out all the junk i find out there!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fair enough.. I wasn't trying to come off as a better-than-thou hunter, just needed perspective and insight.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it back ?
Why so you can find it again next time you hunt there ?

Some items are not what the first seem...
And is silly to "put back" things... This is a prime example of why.

I have never heard of "putting it back because it wasn't what I want"
You sure took it when you thought/saw it was something/sterling...

PS>
Hope you put stuff like that back more often...
That way someone else will find it.

?? Put it back ??... heh... sheesh

only thing you should put back are the gold and silver or old coins ... keep the trash.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back where? In the hole?

Hear! Hear! :nono:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well where i go is deep woods and i would have to have a radio flyer wagon to carry out all the junk i find out there!

Ya know what cured me of doing that? When I went back and found myself digging it up all over again. LOL What I get for being good at repairing the ground. LOL

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thing you ended up keeping it. I once was metal detecting at a hunted out place with holes with trash just put on the side of the hole of back in. I got a signal in a hole that had been dug, it was the bowl to a silver spoon that got ripped off, it looked like trash :) It always pays to keep everything you can carry

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. Putting unwanted items back in the hole is counter-productive. If you are in a good site, it's completely essential to clear out the trash so that you can return and listen for those little chirps and whispers.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Back where? In the hole?

Amen to that!!

X1000

Dave- Anytime you make it up North you're welcome to hunt with me.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
A while ago, if I found huge bracket in the woods that I can't fit in my pocket, I just chucked, unfortunately i just find them again three days later, then chuck them again, then find it again. First thing I did was setting the junk on a big tree branch, that didn't work too well though so one day I brought the backpack and filled it with all the brackets I left behind, from now on, if I find a bracket or plow tip, it goes in the bag. Now my shed has a bucket full of them :) In the long run it saves you time.

At one point I think I found the same strip of iron 10 or more times before I started grabbing them.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions