It was a LEAD filled day of friends and fun

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out yesterday with my good pal Beau to take two outstanding young men (brothers) on a water hunt. They were geared and ready (and even happily fed us) for an adventure. We told them we could not promise relics, but a fun day if nothing else. We felt really good about the site we were taking them to, and it almost entirely disappointed us all. I recovered a sinker (most likely made from a CW bullet) early during the day, in fact, right where we launched from. We kept moving to cover ground, and after only another bullet sinker, homemade sinker and fragment from a lead artillery sabot to show for 5 or 6 hours (Beau found a scabbard tip and one of the boys found a bullet) we were heading back and thinking about other sites.

The plan was to hit the site again where I dug the first sinker and then head up river a little to check other sites before pulling out. It is amazing what one (not to mention 4) people can miss when moving quickly. Almost immediately when back at the site I recovered two fired bullets in one hole and Beau recovered one as well. We moved up river leaving the bullet hole to the brothers for a little while to potentially find an even better site.

Another site was not to be found, but there were relics where we left the brothers as they were adding to the lead count. We decided to spend the rest of the afternoon there digging mostly fired bullets with the occasional bullet sinker or home/camp made sinker mixed in. A few dropped bullets were also found mixed in.

I do like digging sinkers and whether homemade, camp-made, or other, they are all cool little pieces of art. I recovered 3 definite bullet sinkers with two others that could have been (though very crude) and one absolute homemade from lead. I also recovered one cut bullet that probably was going to be used for one or the tip already had been used.

Aside from the sinkers and cut bullet, I recovered 12 fired civil war bullets and a few other odds and ends. In total we probably dug over 50 bullets/bullet sinkers during the day and all almost right where we started the day. It was fun and enjoyable and while no one made the BIG find, we did all find a little.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    647.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    401 KB · Views: 67
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    455.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    445.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 4

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice, some of my favorites are sinkers made from bullets...d2

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice lead! I've met Beau,very nice guy and even though he has found an amazing amount of stuff he always seemed truly interested in others' less exciting finds.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some cool finds!!!!!!!!

I'm a fisherman and find those sinkers fascinating. A cool display would look spectacular.

Steve

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lead! I've met Beau,very nice guy and even though he has found an amazing amount of stuff he always seemed truly interested in others' less exciting finds.

Yea, I've been hunting with him for a number of years now and you are right, but it is not just because he is a nice fella, it is because he loves the thrill of the hunt, no matter how rare or awesome the find.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the homemade sinkers especially the bullet ones! In desperate times you use what you have on hand.

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread