Silver, copper and nickel from the "dead zone".

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Met up with Park Pirate at our usual hunting spot and saw he was hunting in the dead zone we've been pounding for weeks. I really thought we squeezed all we could from that area and didn't expect to find much there. He already had a couple old nickels in his pouch which I thought was all we would find. Good signals are non-existent there and it takes a good ear to detect a slight hint of something good in the ground. My first good find was a V nickel. In the same hole was a rusty iron nail which masked the signal. A while later I dug a deep indian head cent, again surrounded by iron. The coins are deep and usually masked by iron. Its hard to describe why I dig those signals other than to say they are deep and don't sound quite like trash. They definitely aren't good, clear hits on the smart screen. I had one signal today, I said to myself, that could be something good, but I figured just another piece of deep trash. Dug down about 8 inches, saw another rusty nail in the hole. When I scanned the dirt I had already removed, I got a super high pitched tone and called Tony over. Target was still buried under the soil so I did not know what it was. Pulled the headphone jack out and let Tony hear that Minelab silver warble as I waved the X1 probe over the dirt. I told Tony its either silver or a big chunk of aluminum or something. Moved a little dirt and saw the glimmer of silver. A nice 1917 mercury dime came to light. Before we left I added a second V nickel and a second indian head cent. So between Tony and I we pulled 11-12 keepers out of that pounded area. Also pictured are an 1899 soap token, indian head cent and Buffalo nickel I dug earlier this week.

Attachments

• 83015finds2.jpg
    83015finds2.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 83015finds1.jpg
    83015finds1.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 4

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bunch of keepers, congrats.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a Great day of digging in my book.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there!

aj

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins Ed, i sure didnt think their would be any silver left their, it was a good day for sure....

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done. That is a nice bunch of coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread