FIVE SEATED LIBERTIES, 1812 NAVY, Civil War--CaneField Bandits are Back!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

After enjoying the beach hunting, I took a trip to Virginia to dig with my mentor and had some fun digging a few Civil War relics, searching for some old house sites, etc. More memories than finds made, but it was a great experience. Then I came back and did some scouting, following scant signs of habitation, and finding a couple lone flat buttons. Some truly frustrating hunts in the 100+ temps here in Louisiana. Then there was a heat wave, followed rain, rain, and more rain. So now that the heat has broken (95 degrees and dry, not 105 and humid!), Diggergirl, Shangalang, and I hit the fields. Video below

When I got to the site today, Shangalang had already dug two civil war bullets and a holed 1853 Seated Half Dime. DG and I didn't waste any time. I got an ornate piece of silver (busted up wax fob seal?) and she dug a cuff button (civilian). Shangalang then dug a big one-piece convex button. Looks like a circle in the center and oak leaves around. Civilian? Military? I think it has a Robinson backmark. Does anyone recognize this button as anything besides Civilian?

shang mystery butt.jpg shang mystery butto.jpg shang mystery button.jpg

Soon I get a mid-range tone and flip a half dime out! I could see it looked like it was in good shape. Bent over to pick it up where it had fallen out of the dry plug down on the ground again:

1854 hd just dug.JPG 1854 hd.JPG

It's an 1854 with arrows half dime :headbang:

Then next thing I know, DG's got one too! I come running over and she's got a nice 1842 half dime!

DG.jpg

Then I go about 10 feet ahead and get the PERFECT dime signal. Should've filmed it live, but didn't want to jinx...but sure enough--it was a SEATED DIME! Seated #4 for the day so far!

1842 dime just dug.JPG 1842 d.JPG

Then not long after, I hear Shangalang yelling that he's got a button with stars and an eagle on it! I go running and see this in his hand:

navy button.JPG

Then I dug what I'm pretty sure is a canteen spout. Pieces of melted led everywhere. A couple flat buttons. DG gets a pocket watch winder and I dig what ends up being a V Nickel on the way out, and we decide that it's time to call it a day. Shangalang hasn't dug his silver yet, but DG and I pack up the truck and get ready to head out. Then as I'm leaving I think I'm hearing something faint, like on the radio--wait!--it's Shangalang waving and yelling at me to come back! :D He comes running with a silver. It's an 1857 half dime! :headbang:

1842 hd just dug.JPG

THEN, once DG and I are on the road, Shang calls and says he just dug a large cent! Ended up being a toasted braided hair, but it's only the 4th or 5th large cent we've dug down here in the past 4 years.

early navy.jpg 1857 hd.jpg 1857 hd rev.jpg

rusty hole halfdime.jpg rusty hole halfdime rev.jpg

IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG shang finds.jpg

Happy Hunting from the Cane Field Bandits 8-)

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 31
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always great to see you guys posting, I know im in for seeing some great finds when I open your threads!, this one didn't disappoint at all!, great job on the multiple seated day with relics also!why was someone so mean to lady liberty in the 1853 seated? looks like her head was blown clear off lol

I think it's cool to see the rust-filled hole. Just goes to support the theory that coins were put on a wire for safe keeping not a thread. Thanks for the reply and your kind words.

HH,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of Silvers!

The Victorian looking silver piece is not a Seal part. Not 100% what it is, but one of the Baby teething toys come to mind. The kind that often had bells, so doubled as a rattle.

Now that's an interesting idea! Makes sense, as the seals were normally thicker silver. This is very thin and brittle.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice introduction to the fall season folks! Liking the silver and the Half Dime is a nice find as is the button. Cooler days and hotter finds for you ahead.:headbang:

Well said. :)

Cheers,

Buck

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck!! Nice Finds!! CONGRATS!! You guys must be toasted with the Heat!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow BB, DG & SDLANG.

A fun post to read & the Finds never let me Down.

p.s. I can handle the Heat but Humidity Kills Me.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a bunch of nice finds there. You did well on your season start. Can't wait to see the next posts! :icon_thumleft:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Buck -looks like another one of those silver-fests that you guys have become famous for. Nice to see you're back to hitting the fields again. With the hot, dry weather up here some of the corn is being cut already which may open up some early season opportunities. I've done well hunting the water this summer, but I'm dying to get back on some colonial relics. Maybe soon ....

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
5 seated is a great day and CW soldiers had a presence there too. You have had a VERY BUSY summer Bud and I know you enjoyed seeing your mentor. I bet he's very proud of you. WTG, Q.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice grouping of finds. Love the old buttons and seated. Nice video. Looks like yall had a great day.
Canefield Bandits.. Here we go.
What Frequency were you running with the XP when finding those half-dimes?
HH

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow BB, DG & SDLANG.

A fun post to read & the Finds never let me Down.

p.s. I can handle the Heat but Humidity Kills Me.

I agree. I thought it was bad hunting in the woods in Kentucky during tick season in the 90s with high humidity, chopping through brush with a machete and clearing fallen trees to find a site to hunt...but 105 in the humidity down here and calf-deep mud I think is the worst.

That's why 95 and dry is such a blessing right now.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Buck -looks like another one of those silver-fests that you guys have become famous for. Nice to see you're back to hitting the fields again. With the hot, dry weather up here some of the corn is being cut already which may open up some early season opportunities. I've done well hunting the water this summer, but I'm dying to get back on some colonial relics. Maybe soon ....

That's excellent that the corn is already being cut. Seems like it was normally late September/early October normally, so that's a fantastic early window for you!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you find this fall.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 seated is a great day and CW soldiers had a presence there too. You have had a VERY BUSY summer Bud and I know you enjoyed seeing your mentor. I bet he's very proud of you. WTG, Q.

He was very happy. I think he knows that none of what I'd dug would've been found if he hadn't started me in the hobby when I was 12 years old.

Hope all is going well for you, my friend. I bet you're looking forward to harvest.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice grouping of finds. Love the old buttons and seated. Nice video. Looks like yall had a great day.
Canefield Bandits.. Here we go.
What Frequency were you running with the XP when finding those half-dimes?
HH

Maybe Shangalang will reply. I have no clue about the XP. If he doesn't reply, feel free to message him.

Cheers,

Buck

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting