4 times nothing. Now Captain Tim, wheats with patina, and ... good gravy, silver too

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I hit an old home site and a park with nothing to speak about. I'd meant to go door knocking afterwards but just wasn't in a mood to talk to anyone. On the way home, I'd decided to hit an old house and empty lot "for about half an hour". I really didn't expect anything out of this hunt. I'd been there twice with the AT Pro as well as with the E-Trac.

The one lot with the house still standing looks to be 1890-ish. It has a very small front and back yard but going over multiple directions hasn't been fruitful at all. I've also gone exceptionally slow in my previous four attempts picking up only a coin or two. The yard is really odd in that about two inches under the grass there's about a three inch layer of gravel all across the yard. In the past, I didn't do a lot of digging because it was like chipping out rock. This time we'd gotten quite a bit of rain the day before and I figured if nothing else the signals would be better.

So I'm going slow through the yard and I get a good sound, ferrous numbers bouncing a bit but it's about seven or eight inches deep and repeatable. Ended up with my first wheatie of the day and some nails. Nice patina on it too. Three or four feet away I get another signal. Again, kind of scratchy tone and could only hit it in one direction but had a pretty consistent -41/-42 on it. Yep, another wheatie at about eight inches. Finally motivated that I'm hitting things, I get another scratchy but repeatable tone and pulled out not one but three wheat pennies stacked on each other. The pictures don't show it but two of them had overlap marks from the other coins. Sad part about these pennies though.... I end up scratching most of the patina off to get dates. All of them were 38-44 except one 1919.

I know the rain helped but I think I finally figured this machine out. Ended up finding an oriental coin and a Captain Tim's Ivory Stamp Collecting pin. From what I've read so far it looks like 1935-ish.

Wild popularity of "Ivory Stamp Club' saps the value of its curios - tribunedigital-mcall

Then I end up hitting a really sweet sounding deep bouncy ferrous -44 VDI. Chisel through the gravel and yet again at about 7 inches I pull out a Rosie! Nice! Hard to believe I missed these the first three times.

20150830_100100.jpg 20150830_100119.jpg 20150830_100132.jpg 20150830_100203.jpg 20150830_100219.jpg 20150830_100306.jpg 20150830_100311.jpg

So after having some success yesterday, I hit the spot again tonight with only about an hour before pitch black. Hit another wheatie (1920's) and a pin or lapel button that has an image on it. I can't really tell what it is but it looks like a strong man and it looks pretty old. Finally I hit the empty lot next door for a few minutes, making a few passes where the front yard was. I can still see a sidewalk to the front door so just hit the bigger side of the front yard. Ended up with a modern dime and then, yet again scratchy high tone.... couple of small iron chunks.... and another silver dime. Merc me, I'm done. By this time the sun was long gone and the flash of silver in the pinpointer light was a pretty awesome sight. Time to head home.

I'd been through a pretty long dry spell with anything other than clad. Last week I was at a former lake resort area in central MN and found probably 10 coins, but one was a wheatie, one was a buff, and then the prettiest patina'd 1941 merc. No pictures of that trip. It just seems like it broke the dry spell.

If anyone has information on the type of Asian coin and year or recognize that 'strong man' button, I'd sincerely appreciate the info.

Update: Looks like my bottom 3 photos ended up posting sideways. The 'strongman' is laying on his side with head and arms on the left side of the button.

Attachments

• 20150830_203032.jpg
    20150830_203032.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20150830_203042.jpg
    20150830_203042.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20150830_203057.jpg
    20150830_203057.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Upvote 5

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some great finds for sure!!!! We'd be happy with those. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread