🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro;
BH Tracker IV ;
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Massachusetts militia officer sword buckle plate

First time river hunting. Found one piece of a Massachusetts militia officer sword buckle plate right on the water edge. It's pre civil war. Very little information on the Internet about it so if you have any I'd love to know about it. Relicman has a complete one on his website. Need to go back and see if I can find the other piece.

Thanks for watching,

Patrick

Attachments

• 1441132826323.jpg
    1441132826323.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Upvote 57
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the fantastic Massachusetts relic recovery!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love it. I'll probably never dig a plate of any kind but its high on my wish list. Sounds like you got a good one. Congrats

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great piece of history, and what appears to be a rare one at that. Vote in-oh ya!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HELLUVA FIND FOR SURE , MAY GET LUCKY AND FIND THE OTHER HALF. AWESOME PA MA.

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second what Eric in NJ says.
And my vote is in, too. Awesome find!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a keeper!

No it isn't. The keeper would've been the other half. :D

In all seriousness, that is one rare buckle to dig! I'm nominating this for the finds banner!

OP
OP
P

pax_in_ma

Dec 21, 2014
Bedford, MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro;
BH Tracker IV ;
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a very rare and historical find and in quite nice shape. Would like to see you amend the story of it's finding and cleaning a bit. But as far as I'm concerned it's a Banner worthy find. Congrats on such a great find!

Eric,

Added a little to the story in a post below. As far as cleaning I only tooth picked it and used a soft brush. Given all the good feedback I got from the TNet veterans about the uniqueness of the item I might seek some professional help for restoration/preservation. I know very little about it so don't want to ruin the buckle. I'll ask my club for local resources in the greater Boston area but if any of the TNet veterans have any recommendations I'd welcome it.

Thanks,

Patrick

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pax_in_ma

Dec 21, 2014
Bedford, MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro;
BH Tracker IV ;
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adding a picture of the back and adding some more information about the find. I would say it's the result of 30% research, 20% intuition and 50% luck. During the winter I researched locations that a) had some sort of historical event or importance, b) were easily accessible by then and c) are difficult to access today. Basically trying to improve my chances to hit a promising virgin or lightly detected spot. One of them was by a river bank so I loaded the kayak and went on an exploratory "expedition". I had the intuition I would find something there but it was only an exploratory trip. Was my first water hunt ever. Once at the spot I quickly realized that I was not properly equipped for a water hunt (despite looking at most of the Aquachigger\Beau Ouimette's videos on YouTube) with water above the knees, so I searched the shallows and the water edge. Was lucky enough to put my coil on the right spot. Found the buckle on the edge. That is on the edge because of the summer drought. Would have been underground/underwater some other months. Gave me a mid to high 70 on the AT Pro. Now, I learned a lesson that day. I almost gave up on getting to the item. ??? It was ~8" deep but under a bunch of river bushes roots and I had nothing but my hands and a basic small shovel to cut them. Painful. Took me a while. The only reason I kept going was the sound in my headset. Nice and crisp. Finally got it in my hands. Knew immediately it was a buckle and I recognized the state of Mass emblem but did not realize what I was looking at. Just though "Nice!" and I put it away. A few minutes later I found about 5' away what I believe to be the top of a lantern. I tried for a bit to find the other piece of the buckle but decided to continue to explore other spots along the river and to come back to this location better equipped in hope of finding the other piece of the buckle. Hope to do that this weekend. When I got back home I could not find much information about the buckle, so it's not until the TNet community started to provide input that I realized the uniqueness of what I found.

Attachments

• 1441206027085.jpg
    1441206027085.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Patrick, congrats on the simply great find!! Really stinks being here in Mass huh?? I truly hope you can find the other half- that would an awesome find even better. GL!!

-- Jeff --

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and save. Congrats on banner!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TOO COOL PAX in MA.
Congratz on the Awesome Banner Find.

OP
OP
P

pax_in_ma

Dec 21, 2014
Bedford, MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro;
BH Tracker IV ;
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everybody for the compliments and the banner votes. I truly appreciate. Just saw the buckle on the banner. Still can't believe it.

Patrick

OP
OP
P

pax_in_ma

Dec 21, 2014
Bedford, MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro;
BH Tracker IV ;
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time river hunting. Found one piece of a Massachusetts militia officer sword buckle plate right on the water edge. It's pre civil war. Very little information on the Internet about it so if you have any I'd love to know about it. Relicman has a complete one on his website. Need to go back and see if I can find the other piece.

Thanks for watching,

Patrick

Is that supposed to be a bow, a branch, or an atlatl in the right hand? An arrow in the left? Nice find. Nice patina.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome, rare find. I didn't get the chance to vote banner, but I don't you think you had any trouble making it to the top with such a quality find! Now, got get that frame! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

pax_in_ma

Dec 21, 2014
Bedford, MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro;
BH Tracker IV ;
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that supposed to be a bow, a branch, or an atlatl in the right hand? An arrow in the left? Nice find. Nice patina.

Bow in one hand. Arrow pointed down as a sign of peace in the other hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread