🥇 BANNER Fugio Cent

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been super busy this season so not much detecting. I was off work today since school for the kids start tomorrow I was taking them to the Liberty Science Center. I was getting gas last night and received a call from my local historical society with a lead on a 1700s home site. I could not get it out of my mind so before taking the kids out I stopped by the site and this was my only 1700s era find but I'll take it. Actually will go to the historical society for the town museum.

Enjoy

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441158964.570012.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441158995.585955.jpg

Sorry about the phone pictures. I just rinsed it off then put a little candle wax on it. I'm afraid to clean it but there is a lot of detail. The sundial side has everything very clear including the 1787 date. Not clear in picture

I ADDED MORE PICTURES IN TWO ADDITIONAL REPLIES.

NJ THer

Last edited:
Upvote 48
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try backing the iPhone off a bit and then zoom in on the coin by widening your two fingers on the screen. Tap the picture of the coin and the camera will focus on that spot. You should be able to get quite a good close-up with an iPhone.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nothing says banner like FUGIO

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH MAN!! What a find. That one is on my list since I started detecting. And that one is in Awesome shape. My is going in.
Banner!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave it as is. The contrast between the dirt and the cleaner areas bring out the detail of the coin very well. That's a pretty sweet example of a fugio. Congrats!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Patriot, it was actually slightly sticking out of the ground but that is because the site was disturbed. I had permission to hunt this site back in June but it was completely over grown and then it was sold to a developer. The house was knocked down many years ago and they back filled the cellar hole. Turns out the cellar hole was back filled with contaminated dirt so the developer had to remove that dirt (I wonder what else he removed). I received permission from the developer on Monday night and hunted for two hours on Tuesday morning. That is when I found the Fugio cent in the disturbed cellar hole. I believe the real work is going to begin on Tuesday so I'm walking the site on Saturday morning to figure out where I want to focus. Then family obligations Saturday night and Sunday. I have seven people lined up to detect the property on Monday morning with the understanding that anything historical goes to the local museum.

On a side note I just found out a group I'm involved with was in the Asbury Park Press yesterday. I almost got cut out of the picture...I'm in the group photo all the way to the right on the second step. You want to talk about a dream Rev War project this one is one of the best I've been on. The archeologist and curator on the site are awesome to work with and we are finding some great stuff. Many projects we work on no period items turn up but not on this one.

Mass graves, musket balls and metal detectors

Enjoy and I will let everyone know if we find anything else on Monday.
Thanks again for all the nice comments.

NJ

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took another set of photos. Still with iPhone but outside so I hope these are better. View attachment 1207277 View attachment 1207278

I still think they are a little blurry...sorry. A photographer I am not.

NJ

I find that pic w my Android kinda suck I started to use a hand held magnifying glass in front of my phone to get a better pic.
Love you coin, would like to find one or anything that old copper in that kinda shape my Maryland soil is not kind to copper at all..

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone here going to try and attribute the variety or you going to make me try. Better pics?

I will give it a shot tomorrow but you are the man with id's. Gonna be tough with these pics. NJ if you back off a bit with the iPhone they should clear up. Then you can blow them up a bit if necessary

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will give it a shot tomorrow but you are the man with id's. Gonna be tough with these pics. NJ if you back off a bit with the iPhone they should clear up. Then you can blow them up a bit if necessary

I have the coin book for it but need better pic's, I couldn't tell if it had a rim or not to start with.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure get some good quality pictures before you donate it . I think every one on here is excited to see the variety also.
Congratulations on your spectacular find.
HH
TnMtns

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the coin book for it but need better pic's, I couldn't tell if it had a rim or not to start with.

Yeah I'm excited to look in mine and see what he's got but with the tiny little subtle differences it's gonna have to be a great pic. I do think there may be enough detail to nail it down

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone here going to try and attribute the variety or you going to make me try. Better pics?
There are just so many different varieties of these. Was going to give it a shot, but we need CLEAR pics of both sides!!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441475652.094533.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441475695.912794.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441475763.553508.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441475810.386568.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441475854.973831.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441475894.758561.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441475984.064249.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441476021.153085.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441476053.339642.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441476089.174474.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441476118.242498.jpg

I'm really trying here with the photos...lol. I backed the phone off about 6-8 inches then zoomed in then tapped to focus. I took a bunch of photos then tried different angles. I hope this helps.

Btw the historical society is in the process of buying an old house for their museum so this baby will be in my procession for a little while.

Thanks for the offer to id. Would love that info to go with the coin.

NJ

Last edited:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears to be obverse 9. Not sure of the reverse yet, but may never be sure.

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1207948 View attachment 1207950 View attachment 1207951 View attachment 1207952 View attachment 1207953 View attachment 1207954 View attachment 1207955 View attachment 1207956 View attachment 1207957 View attachment 1207958 View attachment 1207959

I'm really trying here with the photos...lol. I backed the phone off about 6-8 inches then zoomed in then tapped to focus. I took a bunch of photos then tried different angles. I hope this helps.

Btw the historical society is in the process of buying an old house for their museum so this baby will be in my procession for a little while.

Thanks for the offer to id. Would love that info to go with the coin.

NJ

studying photo #6 Reverse Dies it appears close to "Newman P First E tilts slightly left. A touches label and is distant from R. O low and open at bottom. the book i referenced was Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial & Early American Coins

Last edited:
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to the site yesterday. No more old coins but did find a musketball, clay pipe stems and a bunch of square nails. There were a few 1900s silver coins and a nice animal trap.

Today the developer starts their work. I'm hoping to get in there a few more times as the property is being developed. Once they clear the brush and overgrowth there should be some more nice finds...I hope. I did stumble over a very nice beehive well that was capped in 1938 but too overgrown to hunt so looking forward to hitting that area once cleared out.

NJ

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow great find. Definitely on my bucket list. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions