GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knock one off the bucket list! It took me a few years, but I finally found one of these rare New Brunswick silver coins. After getting the Spanish monkey off of my back last year, I told myself at the start of the season that a N.B. silver can be done.

Only 100,000 of the 5 cent pieces were minted. What does that make the survival rate? Pretty low, I think.

I went to one of my go-to farms, and only the areas furthest from the old foundation were cut. We never had a ton of success over there, but we did find a few coins. To be honest, we never hunted it properly once we got the okay for the fields by the foundation. I figured, I may as well detect the crap out of the far side and see what we missed.

Yesterday, I was surprised at the amount of finds I made in a short couple of hours, which forced me to go back today.

I was off to a slow start until this little guy kicked me into gear. When I flipped the plug over, it was still in the plug, and read a solid 71 on the Deus at 7khz. I thought, it must be an old copper. :tongue3:

I saw the reverse at first. When I saw the date, I wasn't quite sure what I had in my hand. Then it dawned on me... "Say New Brunswick on the front , you b____d!". I flipped it over, and there it was. Even though I was alone, this one got a fist pump and an f-yeah.

Yesterday's finds - A few buttons, 1812 Trade and Navigation One Penny, bullet, gold plated cufflink. The old coppers usually look like poop when they come from that farm...

2zjgt95.jpg
Today's:

1864 New Brunswick Five Cents - 100 k mintage! I'll let it soak for a bit to get the crud off. I'll repost a "cleaned" pic. I think this may even be the Large 6 variety.

2cyqvxi.jpg

6yf8rm.jpg

1855 P.E.I. Token

149txkx.jpg

I thought this was old U.S. Navy button at first. The back is missing. It's civilian I think. Very frail and thin. It's not military quality.
:dontknow:

23h3dhu.jpg

Old french silver, you're next.

Happy hunting!

Upvote 17

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. All i managed to find is old New Brunswick coppers so far! [emoji2]

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb find Gio!! I'm so glad that field produced for you. You deserve it bud. Knocking that one off your wish list creates a whole new slot on the list.. What are you going to add to it? I know what's already on it lol

Oh yeah, given the rarity of digging a 1864 NB fishy, along with condition and value, I'm also going to vote banner. Not that the banner makes that find any more special, but because of your hard work and persistence, and the caliber of the coin. Congratulations!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She looks to be in darn good shape for her age! Great FIND!!!! :occasion14:

bentdiggin

Dec 17, 2013
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
White's Spectrum xlt
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what a NB is but it is a gorgeous coin. Congratulations.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find buddy! Nice low mintage

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what a NB is but it is a gorgeous coin. Congratulations.

NB is the abbreviation for New Brunswick, the province we live in

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN WHEN I FIRST SAW THE PIC , I LOOK LIKE THAT KID IN HOME ALONE. GIO WHAT A HECK OF A COIN FIND .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread