The Colonial Watering Hole still producing...weve got lead and brass!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Colonial Watering Hole still producing...we've got lead and brass!

Well I decided to take advantage of the right conditions today at the local watering hole. I am still working on one particular target and still not been able to get it to the surface yet. After an hour or so of work, I decided to leave it and go back to the surface finds.

I managed to find a few buttons(6 or 7), all from the 1700-1600s. I love the drilled shanks that I typically find there. I thought I had a regimental button with the big pewter one, looked like it was an 8 in the center, but too damaged to tell what was actually there.

As always, I managed a handful of musket balls and lead shot. It is amazing the various sizes/calibers that I find here and all are crude in molding (today I found samples from .70 to lead pellet).

Lead sheathing is consistently found here due to all the ship traffic and construction and each one (especially the large ones) blow the headphones off. I actually enjoy these as they too are quite crude and typically have square nail holes on them from attachment to wood. Imagine how many miles of ocean these might have lasted!

I always find a ton of nails here (so much iron to dig through) and they actually too are quite crude and cool from rose-heads to squares, nothing post 1800s here. One unique find I made today was the two 1700 cast iron stakes that were still attached to the wood. This came from the clay layer and was preserved nicely and had to either be part of the wharf or some other purpose. It is amazing how well clay will preserve items for 200-300 years!

No coins today, but they are still there and I will find them the next time...oh yes I will!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    915.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    569.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 121
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    584.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    622.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    579.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    478.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    683.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    419 KB · Views: 109
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 12

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some pile of lead

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those buttons are great and I always enjoy old lead!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course we normally hate finding them, but those nails are interesting being clenched and still in the wood. I can't imagine the time needed to make enough of them back in the day to build something.

And that's a nice pile of musket balls... with all the different sizes a lot of different muskets and their owners must have visited that site through the years.

Nice saves, Dan.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course we normally hate finding them, but those nails are interesting being clenched and still in the wood. I can't imagine the time needed to make enough of them back in the day to build something.

And that's a nice pile of musket balls... with all the different sizes a lot of different muskets and their owners must have visited that site through the years.

Nice saves, Dan.

Thanks man.

During the rev war this was a resupply point, but now that so many other calibers are popping up, it is probably just dropped batches during trade (offloading). I have long suspected that a ship was scuttled here which is another theory. They are everywhere and in pockets by size typically.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another nice assortment of goodies Dan. Although the coins didn't make an appearance, you definitely had a good day in the button and lead departments. And I love finding those rose heads with the flattened ends since they confirm you're on a 17th century site.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised me to see all that gold plating still left on the buttons - and the nails are cool too in the wood like that !

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man with great targets like those there is bound to be some great stuff mixed and still there to find

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised me to see all that gold plating still left on the buttons - and the nails are cool too in the wood like that !
Its actually not gold plating. These are finds from the water and the conditions (depending on how/where found) can keep the oxidation process from occurring, meaning at times, items look like they did the day they were dropped.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds Dan! Its cool to see those buttons and lead come from the water with very little oxidation on them. My land found buttons have a thick patina, so your water found ones give me an idea of what they might have looked like when they were lost. I've been pulling a bunch of rose head nails with flattened tips out of a pit recently and just started to tumble them with some pea gravel. (too much of a pain to do electrolysis on a smaller nail) They are some of my favorite finds since they were hand forged and you can see all the hammer marks on them still. Your's with wood still attached are awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread