hammered coin in camden, sc?

kurtstuben

Apr 19, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got the opportunity to hunt with TNetters CarolinaTom, todd lipe and smittyman last Saturday on an all day hunt in SC. We started off at a site smittyman had scouted that was promising, CT scored a merc, toddl lipe a cool pin and smittyman found a silver st. christophers. Me, just some modern clad.... After a nice gas station fried chicken lunch we hit a school with dismal results and started on our way back. On the way home we spotted a couple of tear-downs and thought we'd try our luck...jackpot for me, my first hammered coin.
20150829_184411.jpg 20150829_184448.jpg 20150902_085757.jpg 20150902_085814.jpg
I know, it's a hammered memorial...but it's hammered! lol

Upvote 5

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and pics! Funny I found a similar coin on a subtropical island near the US that I assumed was a defaced penny by some WW II service man....it turned out to be a Spanish Marevedis cob when I finally ID'ed it from the 1500-1600's. It was found in an unlikely spot too! I was kinda bummed when I thought it might be old then though oh damn some bored serviceman just hammered an penny :laughing7: Glad I was wrong and I consider it amongst my best finds. Your pics did have me going! :thumbsup:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess a hammered is a hammered :laughing7: Nice lead in thread title :thumbsup:

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kurt,I remember you briefly showing me that coin Saturday,but I didn't realize it was such a nice coin. congrats

OP
OP
K

kurtstuben

Apr 19, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Todd you're right though, until I took a brush to it then tumbled it I couldn't tell whether someone had engraved something on it or what. After cleaning it though it looks like someone took some kind of punch tool and pounded that pattern on it.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find Kurt. It is a lot clearer since you cleaned it up. Some bored kid in the garage, maybe? It looks like it was hit, in multiple directions, with a "zig zag" chisel. I can not imagine what was used to make that design.

The gas station fried chicken was the highlight of the trip. I really liked it when I asked a local where to eat, and he said "... in another town..."

Best of luck to you in the field!

UPDATE: Here is what was used... as far as I know!

Attachments

• Zig Zag.png
    Zig Zag.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread