10 Silvers, a sharp Buffalo and an old Mickey Mouse bracelet found without Detector!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, today I managed to sniff out an area that appeared as though it might harbor some goodies, and it proved far more fruitful than I expected.

I was only armed with my cell phone, a dull knife and my eyeballs but managed to score 5 silver Washingtons, 3 Mercs ('27, '28, '42), a '45-S war nickel, a crusty Roosevelt, and a '36-D buffalo that was covered in black crud that washed off easily, revealing quite a nice coin!

The Mickey Mouse bracelet has me somewhat perplexed, I can't find a match online so I'm hoping it's a rare early '30s one, maybe worth some decent cash. Any info would be appreciated.

Not pictured are dozens of crusty wheats (1 was a 1910 methinks), dozens of copper memorials, a faceted aquamarine or somesuch stone, a bit of clad including a Susan B Anthony dollar, a "cannonball" (ore mill ball methinks), and lots of odds and ends. I plan on going back with some proper tools, sifters and lights soon so additional pics will be added as more silver (and gold hopefully!) is harvested! 8-)

DSCN1852.JPG

DSCN1853.JPG

Happy hunting everybody, whether or not you're using a detectamajigger! :tongue3:

(EDIT: )

Went back yesterday afternoon and scored another 4 silver coins (and a tiny silver charm I forgot to include), among the usual coins and knickknacks. A '60 Franklin half, '41 and '42 mercs, and another Roosevelt with crust hiding the date. New finds are on the bottom of the group shot (tried cleaning the first batch a bit):

DSCN1855.JPG

I cleaned-out the richest area but there is lots of moderately productive stuff to sort through, so I'll be busy for a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds for eyeballing !! I'm guessing you are working a riverbank, riverbed, or lake that is down, as silver coins tarnish in water?? Good luck with the sifter, but I think even a simple detector would increase what you will recover for the same expenditure of energy. Cheers!!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive eyeball finds . Snuck into an old wishing well huh :laughing7: All kidding aside nice batch of silvers

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm selling my CTX. Lol

Awesome day!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, all that without a detector, very cool!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great day!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score, Sub hypothesizes that you have found an old burn pit! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
Plumbata

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks people, it was a fun hunt and there is more to be had, I may go back today despite the stiff neck. If y'all saw the metal-laden zone (hydrodynamically sorted materials; iron, lead, dense minerals and whatnot where silver gold and copper also tends to get trapped) i left un-worked you'd probably be chomping at the bit to get back in too!

Snuck into an old wishing well huh :laughing7:

Haha, that is a pretty genius idea really... Hmmmm.... :laughing7:

To give ya a sense of the sort of spot I was working:
1919632_10103895792971470_1639662100535016660_n.jpg

Such places have always treated me particularly well.

HH everyone!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Trezurehunter beat me to the punch on posting metal detectors for sale. You have found more silver with your eyes on one trip than I have with my detectors in the past 4 months! Good job and Congratz!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go thats an interesting idea , will have to work my eyes harder in the future !!

OP
OP
Plumbata

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have found more silver with your eyes on one trip than I have with my detectors in the past 4 months!

If it makes you feel any better, I've only detected 2 silvers this year doing curb strips and sidewalk tearouts. Seems that going after what rolled down the storm drains is a bit more effective for the time being. Finding the faceted stone makes me hopeful that some (crunched) gold is waiting to be found too. I'll need to post some group shots of everything I pocketed to give a better sense of the variety and proportions (silver vs clad etc.) of finds.

HH everyone!

OP
OP
Plumbata

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another .80 in silver was found (2.50 thus far), 11 wheats, and some other items. Fresh pic in original post!

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine how much you could find with a MD?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If it's all laying on top of re-barred cement, the detector is worthless.

Very cool thread, thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread