🥇 BANNER C.S.A. Button; Chain Cent; And Many Others!!! Best Day I have Ever Had!!!!

gbpackrfan1990

Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejan; Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back to the place that I found the 1851 Saber Belt Plate and Vermont Button, and had one heck of a day! The construction crew demolished an old 1920s house, and I was amazed at what came out from underneath it!!! I dug well into the night, nugget after nugget! My finds include:

9 Bullets (3 minie balls, 1 gardiner, 1 enfield, 3 colt, 1 round ball)
1 sword scabbard tip
1 1876 silver dime
1 1871 indian head penny
1 1867 shield nickel
1 1810 Large Cent
3 Eagle buttons (2 cuff; 1 Gold plated Coat)
********************** Here come the goodies
1 Solid Cast C.S.A. Button
1 1793 Chain Cent
1 Unknown Token (last two pictures; I think its a Prussian medal c. 1815, it says "NEUE EHRE NEUES GLÜCK" on the front and Voll Muth on the back. I am unsure of the value, any help is appreciated!!!)

Attachments

• 9_2_15_everything.jpg
    9_2_15_everything.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 786
  • chain front.jpg
    chain front.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 625
  • CSA.jpg
    CSA.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 583
  • indian head.jpg
    indian head.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 564
  • LC.jpg
    LC.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 557
  • shield_nickle.jpg
    shield_nickle.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 558
  • 1876_silver_dime.jpg
    1876_silver_dime.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 568
  • uktb.jpg
    uktb.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 637
  • uktf.jpg
    uktf.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 551
  • ccb.jpg
    ccb.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Upvote 81

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Dream hunt and one you will never forget .

Big Congrats !

:skullflag: CMDdawg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic hunt! I love the old copper coins, Congratulations!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal hunt:rocks::tchest::tchest::rocks3::rocks3::headbang::occasion14::notworthy:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will not sound like a broken record because before this, I've never even HEARD of a chain cent. I would have tossed that puppy in the relic bag with iron junk. Yep, I woulda . . . $10,000??? Good GRIEF! I was going to say that CSA button, some Eagles, a scabbard drag, and what appears to be a CS finial for a cap box or cartridge bag . . . YES! But I guess they're not a big deal now. I think I said after your plate that I was sure there was more great stuff there. As a Virginia boy and a Tejon freak, I'll just say, "Go ahead stuff!"

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow wow! Incredible hunt. That chain cent is incredible and one of the nicer that Ive seen. BANNER

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey PackerFan, I haven't read all the responses, but you've found one of the rarest coins ever made! Only 36,103 minted. By all means, please do not clean it!!! If you are so inclined, consider PCGS' restoration, before you do anything that could de-value it. That coin looks like it's got F or better details- look those prices up. I'd hate to see a harsh or even gentle cleaning cause damage. Now I'll step out of my pulpit and congratulate you beyond belief!! Every one of us who does this dreams of a find like that. Some are blessed enough to find it, like you just did. BTW, the rest of your coins are incredible also, but pale in comparison to that Chain Cent.

I couldn't be happier for you, will vote banner right away, and hope someday to see pictures of it restored (if you have that done). Congrats again on a find of a lifetime!

-- Jeff --

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geesh.... everything you found is on my bucket list....congrats on the epic hunt.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
jaw drop on the chain cent. That looks like a good quality planchet too, and don't see much/any flaking. Definitely need to go carefully conserving that one.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow a Chain cent and a CSA button in the same day! Congratulations!

Steve

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely insane hunt. The CSA, chain cent and Jetton are just awesome. Well done and hope you dig up more stuff out there. Voting this one up too.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o You can't do much better for a copper then a Chain Cent. I think the only thing that can top a Chain Cent is a Higley Copper. Congrats on a huge coin find and all the other recoveries. Whatever you decide on treatment for the coin - take your time with a game plan & get it right. You can't undo whatever comes from cleaning/preserving. There's no dress rehearsal for such an undertaking. Voting banner now!

OP
OP
gbpackrfan1990

gbpackrfan1990

Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:o You can't do much better for a copper then a Chain Cent. I think the only thing that can top a Chain Cent is a Higley Copper. Congrats on a huge coin find and all the other recoveries. Whatever you decide on treatment for the coin - take your time with a game plan & get it right. You can't undo whatever comes from cleaning/preserving. There's no dress rehearsal for such an undertaking. Voting banner now!

My father found a 1796 half cent (no pole) years ago... Unfortunately I think that trumps mine!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Those are some incredible finds. I am definitely green with envy. :happysmiley::alien: Some of the best finds I've seen. That chain cent is awesome... and the CSA button too. Congrats! Banner for sure.

OP
OP
gbpackrfan1990

gbpackrfan1990

Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A buddy just found this PERFECT 1877 IHP there tonight... What's next???

Attachments

• 20150903_220806-1.jpg
    20150903_220806-1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 80

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't see many posts where a CSA button is a distant 2nd place find, but here is one. Can't put a value on that chain cent until it's properly attributed conserved. Please show us the reverse of the chain cent so we can see if it's the better "Ameri." variety or the more common "America" variety. My guess is that this coin is worth bare minimum $10,000, and if it is properly conserved, it's more likely to be worth $20,000 or even more.

Definitely don't clean it; send it off to NCS for professional conservation. Professional Coin Conservation from Numismatic Conservation Services. And please use Registered mail so it can't go missing!

Definitely do NOT do this unless you'd like to see it ruined. I'm not certain if rhedden has ever sent a GROUND FOUND copper in to NCS, but I've seen some disasters of great coins ruined by them. DEFINITELY send it to Bill in VA's contact. I have a hunch I know who that individual is, and they are totally trustworthy and high up in the rare coin market. (I take it that we're talking about the person who professionally cleaned his Lord Baltimore coin?)

Congrats again,

Buck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread