first Walking Liberty half dollar

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my first half dollar!! I went detecting for 10 hours today. I didn't find much in the way of cool coins all day. Just $7 in clad, an old '30s film reel, lipstick case, two tax tokens.

I eventually found two wheaties in one location, and a '57 nickel. Then BOOM. Here's this surprise at the end of the day! I couldn't believe it! It's a 1943S.

I've been metal detecting for about 7 months now, as it's a relatively new hobby. This is my 9th silver coin: one war time nickel, 6 mercs, one '64 Canadian quarter.

What an awesome surprise this was!

11930776_10156033719560440_2917651296750992500_o.jpg IMG_3938.JPG IMG_3939.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 39

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job on the Walker.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing that I can equate the feeling of finding big silver for the first time is....ummm... no...there is nothing like it.

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you will at some point! It seems to be so random!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!! My first ever walker ( and silver coin) was a 1943s half. Its a cool feeling seeing something that big coming out of the ground!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful coin!, I found my 1st and only half this year a barber half and I think I like the walkers more!

great find!!!

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! I got my first not long ago! Congrats!!!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must have sounded off like a garbage can lid!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely gorgeous coin. Your 10 hours of persistence really paid off big time.

I dream of finding one of those someday.

Many congrats on that one. It's beautiful.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and isn't it great after digging all day and maybe even getting a bit frustrated along the way; how one really awesome find makes the entire hunt fantastic??

It's amazing how that works.

Again, that's a beautiful coin. Well done.

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cjon455: I hope I can find a barber someday! That's cool!

Garrett424: Thank you for the comments! How long have you been metal detecting? Honestly, it seems like it's just luck of the draw combined with detecting at a good site! You probably will at some point! Yeah totally! I was frustrated that day with the finds. I went to three different sites, and this coin was at the third location!

It was especially frustrating at the second site because I did find two tax tokens, an old lipstick case, 1960 pennies (just about wheat pennies) but no silver! Where was it?

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Awesome!!

Congrats on your first BIG silver, still looking for my first Walker.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Garrett424: Thank you for the comments! How long have you been metal detecting? Honestly, it seems like it's just luck of the draw combined with detecting at a good site! You probably will at some point! Yeah totally! I was frustrated that day with the finds. I went to three different sites, and this coin was at the third location!

It was especially frustrating at the second site because I did find two tax tokens, an old lipstick case, 1960 pennies (just about wheat pennies) but no silver! Where was it?

I really got into this hobby heavily on June 21st of last year and I've been pretty well hooked ever since.

I've done pretty well so far I think. I've found lots of great old coins including some really old 1700's pieces, a nice little pile of really nice gold and silver jewelry but so far, big silver has eluded me. I've been in a silver coin drought all year. I've found lots of silver jewelry but not coins; YET. But, I started out with nothing at all so the way I see it it's only a matter of time. There's only one direction to go and that's to get more good stuff.

If there's one thing I've learned about this hobby, it's that just showing up is 90% of the battle. It's a numbers game. If you keep swinging and NEVER give up the good stuff WILL appear sooner or later. Plus, you pick up all kinds of cool stuff along the way. I mean, what's not to like about going to cool places and digging free treasure from the dirt?? I REALLY love this hobby.

It's funny how you sometimes find your best find at the very end of a hunt too. That happens to me all the time, very often just before dark.

So how long have you been struggling with the MD addiction??

Last edited:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on your Walking Liberty! I have been MDing a long time and have been to old house sites where relics were plentiful and pennies and a token or two were found but no silver, so you are not in the boat alone. lol. I think, at least here in Texas, that some folks held on very tightly to their silver.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding BIG silver.
As has been said, many of us have gone for years without finding a half dollar. This year has been especially good to me. I have recovered 3 Walkers and my 1st Barber. It took 15 years of detecting before finding my 1st Walker.
You may want to get a Yeoman ' s Red Book and start checking off your coin finds. You're doing great.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my first half dollar!! I went detecting for 10 hours today. I didn't find much in the way of cool coins all day. Just $7 in clad, an old '30s film reel, lipstick case, two tax tokens.

I eventually found two wheaties in one location, and a '57 nickel. Then BOOM. Here's this surprise at the end of the day! I couldn't believe it! It's a 1943S.

I've been metal detecting for about 7 months now, as it's a relatively new hobby. This is my 9th silver coin: one war time nickel, 6 mercs, one '64 Canadian quarter.

What an awesome surprise this was!

View attachment 1207443 View attachment 1207444 View attachment 1207445

10 hours huh?
Sounds like my kind of hunt. Glad to see your Persistence paid off. Very Nice Walker.

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find ! I have been looking for one like that , maybe when I get really lucky like you. Keep digging till it hurts your hand then dig some MORE!!!!!!!!!!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,you've done really well for just seven months worth of diggin!Would love to find a big ole silver.I dug a Kennedy half once and it sure was a thrill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread