Original 1914 Bronze Sculpture by Laura Gardin Fraser!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so there's this old building near me that was once an art studio. Today the building staff began gutting the studio and tossing everything to the curb in bags, bins, and dumpsters (2 of them!). I almost had a heart attack seeing all the priceless treasures! Unfinished bronze sculptures too heavy to lift, broken plaster busts, some well over 100 years old, but I tried my best to salvage what I could. So far I have managed to salvage a few of these priceless artifacts. This post will be about one in particular - an original 1914 bronze bookend made by none other than Laura Gardin Fraser, wife of James Earle Fraser (designer of the Buffalo Nickle and one of the men sent to collect the 7th Cavalry Regiment's dead after the Battle of the Little Bighorn)! Just before she gave up art to join the war effort Laura made this incredibly rare piece. If I ever find the matching end the pair will be worth over $5,000 easily. Examples of Laura Fraser's work are incredibly rare and sought after as she was perhaps the only professional woman sculptor at the time, not to mention one of the best, and wife of the famous James Fraser.

Also, interesting note: Laura Fraser competed to design the new Washington Quarter and won! But then treasure secretary Andrew Mellon ignored Laura's win and picked John Flanagan's design instead - the one we still have today. :/

This is the solid brass polo-themed book end made by Laura Fraser 101 years ago, the little removable polo pole is missing :/ the solid bronze sculpture weighs a hefty 11 pounds!
Polo 2.jpg Polo 4.jpg
polo 5.jpg polo 6.jpg

This is a little weighted sterling silver candle holder I found today too, it's broken but still worth something in sterling :D
polo 7.jpg Polo 8.jpg

Here is perhaps the most jaw dropping piece I found today, how could someone toss this 120-year-old beauty?
It is a solid plaster wall relief of women and cherubs riding a sea serpent made by an artist only known as "A.S" in 1895.
Currently doing research on this piece. I hope to restore it one day and put it on my wall somewhere. In the meantime I'm going to keep digging for more treasures in that building's trash.
Roman 2.jpg Roman 3.jpg

Roman 4.jpg Roman 5.jpg

Update: Just found an example of the matching set of original Laura Gardin Fraser polo-bookends for sale on ebay, holy @#*$ I hit the jackpot, just have to find the other one now :BangHead:!!:
Polo 1914 Solid Bronze Bookends by L Gardin Fraser March 14 1914 6 75" Tall | eBay

Last edited:
Upvote 7

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the 'original' is the Ebay seller then selling a copy?
Don.......
I'm no expert but I believe the "originals" are usually made of clay, then a mold is made, then the casts. The "Collectors Encyclopedia of Bookends" rates items using a number scale of 1-5. 1 being the most common and 5 being the most rare. These bookends have a rarity number of 5 meaning they were/are available in a very very limited quantity.

I hope you can find the other one. I'd be loading my truck up just for the scrap metal on the unfinished or broken stuff, not to mention any other treasures that may be had. Nice saves! Keep us updated.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the 'original' is the Ebay seller then selling a copy?
Don.......

Original as in from 1914, not some cheap knock off made later. This piece is part of one of the rarest sets of bookends you can ever hope to find! :laughing7:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds! Salvage everything you possibly can from that place and if you can't carry it b/c it's too heavy, hire someone to help!!

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Bronze will bring a decent price at a recycling center. Too heavy to lift would net you some respectable gas & lunch money for your next hunting expedition.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once again I'm amazed at the great treasures that you are saving from the landfills...Mr. Underminer, you are incredible. You deserve recognition for your efforts and I would nominate you...except for the publicity garnered would bring out the competition.
I applaud you sir, you are the best treasure Hunter on TN. God bless, Al. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread